Ostomy Community
colostomy bag leakage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

colostomy bag leakage

Hi, I have a five year old son who recently had colostomy surgery on Feb. 1 of this year. We are trying to find help on his colostomy bag leakage, He is currently wearing a Cymed with mircroskin, the leakage is happening wear the wafer is lifting up and the leakage is going up under the the microskin and wafer. We are needing some tips on what we can do to fix this problem, He is currently also using stoma paste(but have used the bags with the paste) but still have the same result with the leakage. Can some one please give me some hits on what we can do to help our son.
thanks
Hello Melissa2005
I had a similar problem when I had my first stoma, it certainly knocked my confidence for six, I was advice to use the stomahesive paste, but for me personally it made me sore.
I again approached my stoma nurse and she came to the conclusion that the appliances just did not suit my skin, so she changed the make of stoma bags and I have had no problem since, apart from like everyone gets now and again a leakage, but only now and again.
I think maybe you could ask your sons stoma care nurse if it is an idea to try other makes.

Best of luck to you and so sorry your young son needed a stoma at such a young age, you are a lovely mum for seeking help..

Marcella..xx
First, God bless you and your little guy.  I am not a child, nor am I a Mom of a small child with a stoma. I have my own stoma though, and I have come to a place where I am okay with it. I have also worked with children.   I back up Marcella entirely.  At my hospital  the "wound care clinic" was the place where I got all the help I needed, and was fit with the appliance  that worked for me.  It took a few tries to get the right products, but it is a competitive enough market that you will in time find the perfect fit.  Ask the surgeon where to go for help.  Write your questions down and expect them to be answered..  
Personally, I threw out the paste. I threw out the spray on adhesive too.  I heard it worked well but not for me.  I make sure  everything around the stoma is dry, and to discourage an eruption while I'm working, I stick a Q-tip in there, or rolled from paper towel into a skinny cone into the hole
while I work. Have your little guy lie on his back, and let him choose a favorite toy to hold.  At first I would line up my supplies in order, but eventually it took more time to line up that to just do it.  Before changing a leak, I cut the wafer to the size and shape I needed to get as close that of my stoma.  If it is red and hurts, I do nothing,   I learned that a little red skin, even a slight bit of blood can heal under a wafer that fits right, and is cared for regularly.  As a new stoma heals, it also often shrinks too, so be ready to adjust how large you cut the hole in the wafer to a slightly smaller size.  If there are red bumps that itch there is probably a yeast infection brewing.  Always clean the whole area, pat it dry, then wipe it down with the skin prep towelette, The prep will sting if you have a yeast infection going on.  Sprinkle the Nystatin powder over the place that is stinging.  Use a clean Sure Prep to gently dab the powder.  Let your little guy know that it is going to hurt for a tiny bit, but he (and you) might be relieved to know that the powder is becoming tiny little crystals.  That's why it works.  It covers the area to keep it covered and able to heal with the medicine inside those crystals.  Then stick the wafer on, and proceed to as you were taught, removing the Q-tip before snapping on the bag.  If it still itches, give him an ice pack and distract him with a story or a favorite show.  I hope this helps.   I seldom write such detailed answers, but if it helps, it was worth it.