colostomy leaks
for 17 yrs my mother took care of her colostomy, but now she has developed dementia and can no longer care for herself. she uses a 2 piece colostomy, with a wafer and a bag, and has always used stomahesive powder, but everytime i change it for her now it leaks, do you need to let the stomahesive powder set up for 15 minutes b4 you add the wafer? or add the wafer and let it set up like that for 15 minutes.? mom was always a very private person and never saw the need for me to learn how to change her colostomy. thanks for the help.
if u add powder, u need to blot it with a damp cloth then wave a few times over the area so the wafer will stick/crust it...powder is not a Must and if there is no rash or redness, it is best to eliminate it.  Stomas and surrounding skin are best cleaned with warm water, no soap and blotted dry.  The less a person adds to the mix, the better.  Some fecal ostomies need paste, if you do not, try eliminating it.  The less complex the better for most.  Urostomies do not use paste as a rule.  If you have a difficult stoma, try convexity if it is in a skin fold or it your stoma does not rise 1/2 inch or more above the skin..also good for stomas in a fat fold.  Belts can also come in handy in these situations and your supplier will send you one free if you are having difficulty, so let them know.  If the stoma is on top of a bulge of some sort, then often a 1 piece will work better than a 2 piece as it doesnt have a flange.  Emptying when 1/2 full is also important.  Many urostomy patients may need to hook their bag to a foley drainage bag at night to prevent overfilling.  Lots of easy troubleshooting...just let me know (:
If u add powder, u need to blot it with a damp cloth then wave a few times over the area so the wafer will stick/crust it...powder is not a Must and if there is no rash or redness, it is best to eliminate it.  Stomas and surrounding skin are best cleaned with warm water, no soap and blotted dry.  The less a person adds to the mix, the better.  Some fecal ostomies need paste, if you do not, try eliminating it.  The less complex the better for most.  Urostomies do not use paste as a rule.  If you have a difficult stoma, try convexity if it is in a skin fold or it your stoma does not rise 1/2 inch or more above the skin..also good for stomas in a fat fold.  Belts can also come in handy in these situations and your supplier will send you one free if you are having difficulty, so let them know.  If the stoma is on top of a bulge of some sort, then often a 1 piece will work better than a 2 piece as it doesnt have a flange.  Emptying when 1/2 full is also important.  Many urostomy patients may need to hook their bag to a foley drainage bag at night to prevent overfilling.  Lots of easy troubleshooting...just let me know (: