Ostomy Community
flange problem

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

flange problem

i'm having new problems with my colostomy after having it for 10 years.  i have been excreting stool more frequenty since i've been undergoing anxiety/depression problems.  i'm taking paxil, 20mg.  i just started it last week.  my stool is pretty constant and sometimes seeps from the sides of my flange.  it was doing this even before i started taking this new drug.  i use to be able to replace my flange on avg every 3 days and now it's every other day. please help  
I am new to ostomies.  I had an ileostomy in July 2008.  After I came home from hospital and was up and more active, I started having trouble with leakage (like several times daily).  My skin was in terrible shape.  Finally, determined that due to loss of 25 lbs. since surgery, my stomach was flabby therefore it moved a lot.  Started wearing a ostomy belt, convex wafers (flange).  Now have no leakages (change wafer and bag twice weekly (when I shower).   Hope this helps.
I've had a colostomy for many yrs now and I have found that Eakin Cohesive seals  (convatec)work well around the stoma.  If you get the small ones and cut them in 1/2 and then roll them into a long tube and put them around the opening on the flange (like you would paste) and then press them on real well, they extend the wear of the wafer. I also wear a belt for several hours after I change so that I get a good seal. Hope this helps. If you have an ostomy nurse, you may be able to get samples.
if u could desribe ur stoma to me or maybe post a picture i can help...i am an ostomy nurse and deal with this everyday///u r welcome to pm me