ileostomy reversal
Hello!  I'm a 34 yr old female.  I have had Crohns for 12 yrs and in July '08 had to have an ileostomy.  On Dec 17th, I am going in for a reversal, the only complication is that the Doctor are going to have to remove most of my colon due to the damage from the disease.  I'm excited about getting rid of the bag but nervous because I don't want the disease to return.  Also, don't know what to expect after the surgery.  I came through the first surgery with no problems.  I got released from the hospital 2 days early because of it.  I'm hoping that this surgery will be the same way.  Any advice that can be given to me would be greatly appreciated.
I am an enterstomal therapist..I do not have an ostomy but teach and help patients all of the time...if most of your colon is removed, then you can expect more frequent and more liquid stools than if you were keeping your entire colon.  the colon is what absorbs the water out of the stool on it's way to the rectum, so the less colon you have then the more liquid your stools will be.  There are lots of ways and foods you can eat to help thicken your stool.  This surgery will also be a major surgery but most patients find it more comfortable than the firt surgey where the ostomy was created and average hospital stay is usually just a few days...good luck 2 you!
I am a 32 yr old male. I had colon cancer when I was 18 yrs old... had my hole colon removed. and had a j-pouch made. I had it reversed 7 yrs later, then ran into complications and last year ended up with another  ostomy. What I do know is that if you drink alcohol, coffee, anything with caffeene, or smoke you will have very loose stools. drinking alot of water, or gatorade will help out alot they will still be loose but not as bad. The other thing is your diet is going to have to change. I can't eat any fruits, or veggies. I drink V-8 smoothies and get a vitamin B-12 injection once monthly for nutrition.
        I hope I helped you and not scare you please PM me if you have any other questions...
      Good luck,
                     Steve