Ostomy Community
ileostomy skin condition

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

ileostomy skin condition

I have had this urostomy since 03 and haven't had a problem with it. Now I have sores that are popping up on it. There hard to describe but they bleed and hurt. it started as just little tiny bumbs and has now grown into big white scaly bumbs. There not blisters there solid with a loose white skin that wipes off really easy. But it hurts and itches also.. What can I do to help my skin. It was cultured and they said it was infection in my urine irritating it. I can't get rid of infections either what can i do I need help I don't know what im doing wrong to keep getting infections. Can you help me with some ideas as what to do help?
Hello!  When I had my ileostomy and at around the end of the 1st month I had the same problem with my skin that you're describing.  My ostomy nurse and I tried just about everything from powders to pastes to clear it up and nothing helped, actually felt like it was making it worse.  When I went for a check up to see my surgeon he suggested taking off the bag and covering the stoma with gauze to prevent letting it flow everywhere and put maalox on the infected area and let it air out for about 45 minutes.  I did that and afterwards put a thin layer of A & D ointment on it and within 2 days the skin was almost completely healed.  I also started using "stomahesive" which is a paste that goes on the wafer around the stoma for extra protection from leakage. I hope this helps!!  I know just how horrible and miserable it can be with irritated skin!

- Danielle