Ostomy Community
ileostomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

ileostomy

does the uncomfortableness ever go away?  I am so uncomfortable every day  Had this done about a month ago  When do you start to feel better
Constant discomfort should go away soon.  It takes a while for the inner stitches to dissolve.  You may notice the illeostomy to shrink as you head toward healing, both inside and out.  You should also have a follow-up with your surgeon soon.  If not, call and see if they can refer you the wound care dept. at the hospital in which you had your surgery.

For now, eat soft foods like bread based foods, yogurt, baked seafood (seems to work better for me, but I know it's not bread based, he he).  Make a fruit smoothie.... and avoid foods that are acidic.  I would hope that you should be feeling better in a week or two.  Illeostomies have a shorter way for  food to travel, but the food needs to go though a skinnier pathway.  It helps to have friends along the way too though.  You're in a good place here with a lot of good opinions.  Try things one at a time until  you find out what works for you.  
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR RESPONSE  IT HAS BEEN A MONTH SINCE SURGERY AND STILL ALOT OF DISCOMFORT AND PAIN IN THE EVENING AFTER MOVING ALL DAY.  I WILL TAKE YOUR ADVICE THO  THANKS AGAIN
Every surgery is different and no two can be compared on how long until all is healed and you feel back to normal with your energy back and the pain is gone.
Ileostomies clog up easily as the intestines in the upper GI tract where an ileostomy is formed is smaller than the colon where a colstomy is made from.  it depends on your disease process and what area of the GI tract was affected on where the surgeon places your stoma.  The higher he or she places it in the intestinal tract, the more watery the stool witll be as a rule as water is absorbed from stool predominately in the colon so it gets thicker as it travels down to the rectum.  The higher your ostomy is the waterier your stool will be.  Foods such as popcorn, stringy foods, hard to digest foods can clog up your hole in your stoma and cause severe cramping and lead to no output in your bag.  This is an emergency as you will start vomiting if you do not get this corrected which is easily done but by a professional until you learn the procedure.  Best to avoid foods that are hard to digest so it doesnt happen!  Massaging around the stoma site and placing your knees to your chest in a prone position helps some but call your doctor if stool ceases and/or you begin vomiting.
An ileostomy loses lots of water so water intake up to 12 glasses a day is recommended if okay with your physician.  I have seen quite a few ileostomy patients come back in a week or 2 after discharge with dehydration from not drinking enough fluids.  Dehydration even at a small degree causes loss of energy and all kinds of other issue. Colostomies do not have this issue as a rule.  
Often ileostomy effluent/discharge/stool is full of digestive enzymes that can burn the stew out of your skin and cause a huge puching issue as the skin stays moist from the irritation and the appliance will not stick to wet skin.  A hair dryer on low and a local skin treatment is often used until the skin is healed.  The proper appliance with a good seal is crucial with an ileostomy!

Wishing you all the best
Laura