Ostomy Community
j-tube feeding
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

j-tube feeding

I know someone who is J-tube fed because of swallowing issues.  He couldn't have a G-tube because of displaced internal organs.  The issue is bile leakage.  He goes for a week or two when the bile is manageable, then the site just oozes bile continuously.  This of course causes his skin to burn and he is in so much pain he pulls his tube out.  Then it has to be reinserted and this causes even more pain.  Do you have any suggestions for keeping the bile in?
Tags: bile
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
I suggest sending a note or pm to worried878 with this question.   believe she is an ostomy nurse.  She comes on this board from time to time and will respond to a note.  

jd
Blank
Thanks for your help, I will do that!
Blank
I was told that you are an ostomy nurse.  I know a person who is J-tube fed, and when the bile runs (quite often) his skin gets so burned.  He suffers terribly and pulls the tube out almost everyday.  Is there anyway to stop the bile from coming out?  He uses a Hollister anchoring device and Hollister ring barrier around the tube, but the bile still gets out and then pools under the disc causing the problem.  Any help would be great! Thanks!
Blank
Yes, my mother has gone through this exact same thing. She was in the hospital for over a month with the skin infection due to the bile leakage. The key is to have a surgeon place a larger size gauge j tube. A 16" or 18" should tighten up the hole and reduce leakage. My mom has such minimal leakage now that using a Hollister Button to secure the tube (which is also medicated) has resolved all the problems. The Hollister Button when used correctly often does not need changing for several days. Her skin that was burned so badly but is now 100% healed and using zinc oxide on the skin with a bandage works miracles. Make sure NOT to use the Hollister Button until the skin has healed completely or you will be in a world of pain. Once a larger gauge j tube is placed in, use zinc oxide and a guaze bandage with paper tape to adhere to the skin. Once the skin is healed, replace the gauze with the Hollister Button....  
Blank
Thanks for your suggestion!  The man I was referring to has finally gotten some relief.  We now tape the tube in (he has a 22" tube) and put gauze around the site, and we also are able to use "triad" cream, which helps immensely.  He is much happier now.  A dr. at the ER dept. showed us how to tape it and use gauze, that was a true blessing!  We no longer use the discs.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Ostomy Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...