Ostomy Community
leaking ostomy appliance

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

leaking ostomy appliance

How do you treat irritated stoma skin - to the point of small amount of blood & stoma appliances not sticking?  My husband had his colostomy done in Dec but now that we are home, problems, problems, problems.  Nothing sticks more than 3-8 hours partly due to the fistua at the midline incision which is only 1.5 inches away from the stoma.  We have tried a variety of brands, paste, barrier wipes, powder - everything leaks.  He is getting depressed & I am getting frustrated at not being able to keep things contained.
Hi stonefrog, I had my surgery in January and like your husband I had nothing but problems with leaking too. Since then, I think I have finally figured outa way to slow it down and sometimes stop it altogether..heres what I did:

1. Remove appliance and clean the skin around the stoma with just plain soap and water, rinse well and pat dry. Use a hairdryer on a cool setting to make sure its really dry.
2. Apply stoma powder to the entire area that the wax part of the wafer touches, not the adhesive border, smooth it into the skin, putting extra on any weeping sores.
3. Apply skin barrier spray to the area. I use the spray instead of the wipes because all that wiping just seemed to irritate even more, and the spray goes on more evenly too, dry completely with the hairdryer.
4. Repeat the last step again and dry dry dry!
5. Apply paste all around the hole in the wafer THICKLY and evenly.
6. Have hubby lie down and apply wafer, pressing and rubbing to smooth it and stick it down. Attach pouch. Keep him lying down for at least 20 minutes, all the while rubbing the adhesive and pressing on the wafer all around the ring seal. You can also warm the wafer and adhesive with the hairdryer while hes lying there, that helps the adhesive really stick too. Then, and most importantly, no sitting up straight in a chair for at least an hour or so...it causes strain on the adhesive. Patience is important here, and sometimes its tough. My stoma is very close to my incision site too and I have a hard time with this problem. I switched to a moldable wafer and it seems to be more forgiving and move with my body and adheres to all the dents and contours on my abdomen better than a rigid wafer. Does his stoma protrude out of the wafer far enough? I ask this because I have a recessed stoma and that was causing alot of problems with leakage for me also, but switching to a convex wafer seems to be working. Also, the hospital or maybe his Dr might be able to give you some info on your local Ostomy Clinic..the nurses there can be very helpful in evaluating these problems. Good luck to you....JilH
thanks I will give this a try after his shower tonight.  One day a bag will stay for 24 hours then only 3 the next.
Stonefrog if you'd like to send me a private message i'll give you the knowledge i have when it comes to appliances staying on. JiH i'll do the same for you. i'm 35 and have had an ostomy for the better part of the last 17 yrs.
hi - my sister has had an illeostomy and a colon conduit, was released from hospital three weeks ago and has had a lot of problems since.  The ostomy bag keeps bursting and seems to have a very high out put.  On the other hand with the colon conduit she seems to be retaining water constantly.  She is very worried about her kidneys.  Hospital says that once there is any output that she is not to worry but what is normal?  Support is not great. wowuld be grateful for any advice.
sis2011