Ostomy Community
need help with rash

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

need help with rash

Have a rash under my waffer and  really burns and itches when i remove waffer. What can i put on rash?

Also new waffer i am using seems to not want to come off altho the outer ring does ?

thanks if anyone can help
You might be allergic to that product. That happened to me and I had to switch to another companies product. Adhesive removing wipes help alot with removing the wafers. Also, try using the barrier wipes or the powder before you put the wafer on.
Try stoma powder and a spray on skin barrier...dry it completely with a hair dryer on a cool setting before putting the wafer on. I also was alergic (allergic) to the wafer, but I found that taking a Benadryl twice a day really worked for the irritation and itching.

Hope this hekps :o)
Yes there is a possibility that you have an allergy to the wafer and on occassions when I get sore with little blisters, I also use stomahesive powder it really is very good.

Marcella.
How large is the area that itches?  Is it all the way around the place where it is sticking tight?  How far from the stoma does it run.  A good seal is what you want.  It sounds like it could be  a yeast infection to me.  If it's everywhere the wafer touches though, I would agree that an allergic reaction to the wafer.

If it is a yeast infection though, you can treat by applying SurePrep over entire surface of skin where wafer touches, sprinkling Nystatin powder over the effected portion of skin where the rash is raging, and then stippling the powder with SurePrep.  If you do it lightly, it  will form a barrier of crystals to seal the skin while it heals, while treating the yeast infection.  The itch won't go away right away, but an ice pack (I always hold it over my clothes) can help you manage the itching.    
PS: I would try putting a warm compress on the wafer if it doesn't come off easily.  It may help to loosen the inner part of the wafer.
It is possible you are allergic to the wafer, but very few people are allergic to the wafer.  Try placing a small portion o the wafer material somewhere else on your body and see if it becomes irritated.
It is most likely an improper seal causing moisture under the wafer.  Convexity is wonderful and wafers with convexity are the answer to many people's pouching issues.  An ostomy belt is another option to improve the seal.
Stoma powder blotted with a damp cloth then allowed to dry before pouching is good because the powder absorbs excess moisture.  many use Nystatin powder instead as sometimes yeast is involved.  A doctor must give you a prescription for Nystatin powder but the same technique is used called the crusting technique.  You can google "Ostomy and Crusting technique."  There are some antifungal powders coming out that do not require a prescription but are not as strong as Nystatin.  They are great for prophylactic use and minor irritation though!

Good luck
the best thing i use is spray on sting free nexcare liquid bandade. spray it on let it dry do this about 2 or 3 times before you put your bag on also spray some skin prep let it dry you will see a defferents in the rash in about a week i have been useing it about 4 month my rash has cleared up try not to spray it on the stoma its ok if you do it want hurt the stoma it may stop up the hole but it will breake threw i went 2 years with rash it was devastating to me i do not use stoma powder my name is charles mccall im from bennettsville sc 29512
Everyone seems to have rash where either adhesive is on the skin or directly around the stoma . My problem is that the actual bag has caused a rash from being next to my skin in high temperatures , I think I'm going to have an uncomfortable summer .
High temperatures will cause a lot more rashes than normal. Keep in mind that keeping cool is probably the best idea for us! Some of us love the warmth, but out wafers DO NOT. I have been changing mine every 2-3 days rather than 4-6 days. I know that I get a rash as well as more leakage now that the temperature outside has risen drastically.

Nothing is worse than being itchy under the wafer. Oh I KNOW.. I look like an angry person walking around the grocery store. What What I have found that helps is resting a cool/damp cloth over my bagging system and it helps reduce any problems I may be happpening. Just remember, if you need to change - do it. This heat mixed with out waste can cause serious eroding of our skin.