ostomy output
My husband has had an ostomy for 11 years (initially, rectal cancer).  He had a second recurrence of colon cancer 4 years ago, and this time had the cecum removed. A small-bowel fistula resulted very near the ostomy site. He nearly died from lack of nutrition, but has survived 4 years now!  The fistula is almost healed, but now the stoma is secreting a very acidic, colorless liquid that eats right through the wafer, loosening it so that it has to be changed DAILY instead of every 4 days.  Also, the stoma itself is shrinking to the point where it is only about 1/4 inch open. I was told to use surgical jelly and insert my little finger into the stoma up to the first knuckle, weekly to keep it from closing.   I am just wondering what is this colorless liquid, odorless, too, I think.  What is causing it?  There is blood pooling in the stoma when I change him, but not a lot. Enough to wet several q-tips, but each time it pools up again in moments.   What kind of test can he get to see what's going on in there?  A CT scan?  Would a lab test indicate what might be causing the colorless liquid that is so acidic it eats away the stoma cement and the wafer?
Hi, really sorry but i cant offer you any advice, but felt i wanted to reply with something. I have a temporary illy with a hernia underneath, and this clear liquid you describe, i have passed myself. When i change my bag and clean around the site, everything seems dry, so i attach a bag only for it to come away in seconds because of this clear liquid has got onto the seal. Maybe, its a natural occuring liquid that breaks things down inside, but to be honest ive no idea, but just wanted to share with you that your husband is not alone. I have to spend a good 5 minutes rubbing around every new bag i put on to make sure im all sealed up before this liquid escapes :) xx