Ostomy Community
ostomy output

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

ostomy output

My husband has had an ostomy for 11 years (initially, rectal cancer).  He had a second recurrence of colon cancer 4 years ago, and this time had the cecum removed. A small-bowel fistula resulted very near the ostomy site. He nearly died from lack of nutrition, but has survived 4 years now!  The fistula is almost healed, but now the stoma is secreting a very acidic, colorless liquid that eats right through the wafer, loosening it so that it has to be changed DAILY instead of every 4 days.  Also, the stoma itself is shrinking to the point where it is only about 1/4 inch open. I was told to use surgical jelly and insert my little finger into the stoma up to the first knuckle, weekly to keep it from closing.   I am just wondering what is this colorless liquid, odorless, too, I think.  What is causing it?  There is blood pooling in the stoma when I change him, but not a lot. Enough to wet several q-tips, but each time it pools up again in moments.   What kind of test can he get to see what's going on in there?  A CT scan?  Would a lab test indicate what might be causing the colorless liquid that is so acidic it eats away the stoma cement and the wafer?
Hi, really sorry but i cant offer you any advice, but felt i wanted to reply with something. I have a temporary illy with a hernia underneath, and this clear liquid you describe, i have passed myself. When i change my bag and clean around the site, everything seems dry, so i attach a bag only for it to come away in seconds because of this clear liquid has got onto the seal. Maybe, its a natural occuring liquid that breaks things down inside, but to be honest ive no idea, but just wanted to share with you that your husband is not alone. I have to spend a good 5 minutes rubbing around every new bag i put on to make sure im all sealed up before this liquid escapes :) xx