pain management
Hope someone can help us...my husband has a colostomy due to radiation enteritus.  He still gets depressed about it at times but our main concern is the throbbing rectal pain.  He takes Opana ER and OpanaIR but the dr said they may cut back on it.  We are so scared because he has been barely maintaining on the dosages.  Any advice on what to try?
Thank you
Has your doctor performed a digital rectal examination to rule out other causes of this pain. It may be due to hemmorhoids or other so please ask him to do this as its important.
I am an ET nurse ,Has your husband had a CT scan or an MRI to rule out an abcess? Does he still have his rectum or was it sewn up? Does he have any drainage from his rectum? Does your hospital that you go to have a Cancer care centre with a Pain management team? Our hospital here in Canada has a Palliative care cancer centre with Pain management. It is for all people with cancer not just paliative patients.
Joy
My husband has a tumor in rectum and we think it was pressing on a nerve, so he is taking gabapentin. It helped him within a couple days of starting. He hasn't had surg yet to remove tumor. He is having chemo to try to shrink it first. We will see if there is pain after surgery. Hopefully not.
I suffered from pelvic dysfunction pain and impacted mucus in my colon causing severe rectal pain. My oncologist removed my colon, rectum and anus and i have a permanet ileostomy. Its changed my life and I had been on massive pain meds for 9 years and now I take pain meds as needed. Get the diseased parts removed since he has a colostomy anyway, he doesnt need the other parts.

I cannot express how much suffering i experienced and now I am living a new life. I will be launching a website designed just for us ostomy patients so i can help others like you. Sending good vibrations your way.

well since I last wrote. husbands chemo seemed to go well. tumor marker went from 2400 to 10.2 as of april 16,2013. Pet scan show no activity except where tumor was. all along they said they would remove tumor. they went in on may 1 and ended up not removing tumor. surgeon said cancer was widespread in abdomen and pelvic area. all he ended doing was looping other end of colon closest to stoma (that he already had) . now he is very sore, I'm guessing from surgery. and he is bloated all the time. before this last surgery he was feeling great, had gained weight, was pleased with tests and blood work. I almost wish he didn't get the surgery. now we are stumped. we have a window of time so I want to get him on a better vitamin regamin. Not sure how well it will work with the colostomy, nutrients won't travel that same road anymore. will they help at all. I am a proponent of good vitamin therapy. alice