Ostomy Community
skin irritation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

skin irritation

Is there any way to deal with the irritation around the stoma?
I had lots of trouble with that.  It helped to be very careful when cutting the new wafer and leave as small a margin of skin exposed as possible.  I made a new template about every 10 days or so to make sure I was getting a good fit.  Also, I would shower after removing the old wafer, and let the skin be exposed to air for a while before putting on a new wafer (obviously not right after eating!) and the skin got to air dry and had some relief from the glue.  Good luck.
also depends on what type of ostomy u have....cutting the wafer hole close to the stoma as mentioned is good..if u have an ileostomy u need to make sure no effluent is touching ur skin as it is caustic as an ileostomies output is full of digestive enzymes...paste or rings can help...what is ur wear time on ur wafer?   to heal the redness, stoma powder then dabbed with skin prep or water then let dry before placing the wafer can help..blow dryers can be useful
My husband suffered with alot of complications from both his colostomy and his ileostomy.  He was diagnosed with colo-rectal cancer last spring and underwent chemo and radiation as well as his 3rd and hopefully final surgery in relation to this problem.  There were complications at every turn.  If it was the weekend we were certain to have an emergency.  But we did find a wonderful ostomy nurse in our area.  When he had weaping and blood around the stoma, she recommended an asthma puffer.  It worked like magic.  You have to be very careful in applying.  Do not let the puffer mist come in contact with the stoma under any circumstances.  It has since become common practise in this area according to our pharmacist.  I wish you renewed strength and hope.
I know it sounds crazy, I use Right Guad airisal spray from about 8 to 10 inch away  does wonders for the shaved hair   Also Tic Tak's are good  in the pouch  over the year's I also found out the less air the better with Prep