Ostomy Community
staples in stoma??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

staples in stoma??

My 44 year old husband had an emergency sigmoid colon resection done for diverticulitis with a ruptured abscess, and has a colostomy.  I am a nurse.  Because he would not look at the stoma post op, I took pictures of the stoma each time I changed the flange/wafer to show him (he was able to look at those so I could show him what I was doing).  His stoma was initially flat...the surgeon told me he "always does it that way to prevent hernias", then it retracted before he left the hospital and on post op day 5 at home, the stoma dehisced completely with gut showing around the entire stoma periphery.  By day 9, a circle of sutures were visible (see photo).  It wasn't until about day 14 post op that I decided to upload the photos of his stoma to my computer and I was shocked at what I saw when I could now zoom in closely to these pictures!!  There were very small staples IN the stoma the first week after he came home...a whole row of them, some looked like they were just laying there, others were covered with some tissue but still visible.  I did not see these (nor did any one who looked at the stoma) when I was cleansing and examining his stoma, only when the picture was enlarged on the computer.  They are not visible in post op day 12 photo.  Where did they go?  If they did not get wiped out with stoma care and are still inside his gut, can they cause harm?  Could they cause a perforation somewhere?  I'm questioning the surgeon's ability now since the stoma was such a mess from day 1.  Also postop the stoma was covered with black/yellow tissue which did resolve.  I do understand with emergency surgery, things may not be so 'neat and tidy' but I have never heard of staples IN a stoma before.  I'm wondering if I should be consulting another surgeon for his colostomy reversal?  Help!