Ostomy Community
sticky paste

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

sticky paste

My husband has an ileostomy bag and the sticky paste he uses to hold his bag on is  causes some issues so i was wondering if there is anyone who uses the one piece bags that you cut to fit.  if so what  you use if anything to hold on bag?
The adhesive on the back of the wafer is usually enough to make the wafer adhere, be it a one piece or a 2 piece.  Folks with urostomies often use 1-pieces and folks with colostomies/ileostomies use a 2-piece unless they have a difficult stoma.  A difficult stoma would mean a stoma that is not easy to pouch and not because it will not stick, but because of the stoma location (example: in a skin fold) or a stoma that does not protrude suck as a flush stoma or inverted stoma (a stoma at skin level or below)  A protruding stoma located on a flat surface of the abdomen is ideal but not always possible.  Also, abdomens change over time and what used to be an ideal stoma may not be so anymore.
One pieces are great for ostomies that need the flexibility of a one piece wafer as it bends more easily than a 2-piece because it doesnt have the round flange on it for the bag to snap on to.  Convexity is also a great option for stomas in a skin fold or flat stomas.  Some folks use belts to add security.
There are some products out there to help adhesion like the white glue (cant think of the name right now) that you paint on, but stoma paste does not help adhesion, it is used like caulking to fill in uneven spaces and provide a barrier to prevent leaking.  Skin prep does not add to adhesion either but helps protect the skin..gotta be sure it dries tho before you put on the wafer.  One trick to make the wafer stickier is to blow dry the back on a low setting for a few seconds to make it tacky.  Another is to always be sure the area is completely dry and to avoid cleaning around the area with any soap, warm water only.  If you use a power like nystatin because you have a rash around your stoma, always be sure to blot the powder with a damp cloth and let it dry before application.
Most often the reason a pouch isnt staying put is not because of an adhesion issue though, it is often due to using the wrong appliance for the stoma
If you can remember the name of that white glue I would be greatly appreciative. I had a colostomy for 14 months many years back and the white glue, which we stumbled upon accidentally, was the first glue that really held.  I had the wafer stick to me comfortably for up to 6 days.  I'm actually staring down the barrel of having a colostomy once again, this time permanent, and I can't for the life of me remember what that glue was.  But your description fits the bill exactly for what I was using.  Any help would be accepted gladly.

Thanks for your time.