Ostomy Community
worts on stoma
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

worts on stoma

Does anyone ever had or have worts on their stoma?  We have had them exmined by a surgeon and family doctor but, nothing only thing normal.  We are going to have a byopsy done again plus on the inside of it hoping we can get answer.  
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Are they positive they are warts and not nodules from a poorly fitted appliance?

Sara RN
Blank
They haven't said what they are but, that is what they look like.  It is some kind of growth.  Or leashon growth it is really strange kind of growth.  He had UC with complete removal of large intestine and over half of small.  Now premit illostomy with these growths on it and possible on the inside as well. We go to Dr next week for a scope and byopsy.
Blank
Keep us posted on how the scope and biopsy go. I did a lot of research and could find no cases of warts on a stoma. Nodules, however, can often form and can look like warts. They are lesions smaller than a papule and outgrowths of cluster of cells. They are hard like warts. This can come from a poorly fitted appliance. If the growths are on the inside, that makes me think that this could be a skin reaction to the output coming out of the stoma, or a type of fungus, which very well may be the case. Whatever they are, the biopsy will be able to tell for sure. Good luck and keep us posted!

Sara RN
Blank
I had an ileostomy April '09 and developed "warts" on my stoma within 3 months.  A nurse at the wound care center treated them in the office with a device that either cauterized them or froze them.  Sorry, I can't remember which.  Anyway, it was painless and they went away.  The nurse referred to them as nodules but they sure looked like warts to me.  There was no mention of what caused them.  

Good luck

Blank
Thanks to all we got some answers they are not warts they are called mucosa.  But, can't be sure if crohns or UC so it was decided that he has both.  Taking a new medication to hopefully improve them to get smaller or clear up.  Also is now fight IBD that is causing blockage in what little small intestines, that he has left.  Now waiting for the medication to work we hope...
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Ostomy Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...