Ovarian Cancer Community
? ovaries and the thyroid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

? ovaries and the thyroid

I have had many surgerys to remove many masses from my ovaries over the years. I have only half of an ovarie left the rest of all that used to be there is now gone. I am 35 now, but my Question is are the ovaries and the thyroid linked in any way ?
Doctors have just found a few masses on my thyroid and all my lymph nodes are up. I still have symptoms of a cyst being on the little bit of ovarie left. what end do I worry about first ?
Ouch all the time.

I don't know if there is any link. What kind of cysts did you have on your ovaries? Have you had any symptoms associated with thyroids? What does your doctor/specialist suggest as the next step?
I had high TSH which was thought to be caused by 3 nodules they found on my right thyroid gland - which all turned out to be cold so they shouldn't cause symptoms - now they have found a dermoid cyst on my right ovary so I don't know what's causing what, or if it's all unrelated.

I wish you all the best, let me know how you go, waiting is the worst.

Kristy.
I have had complex ovarian cysts on both ovaries.
All parts that make me a women have been removed except for half of my right ovarie. That is all I have left now due to these cysts.
It would be good to know if the two are linked in any way.
You can only be scared of the word CANCER so many times before you realise it is a widley used word.
Thanks heaps for your well wishes because every single one counts!
Ouch all the time
The thyroid and the ovaries are directly involved. As far as conditions relating to one another, I don't know enough. I read about this in the book "It's My Ovaries, Stupid". It goes into endocrine disruption, hormones, weight gain, painful periods, endometrosis, polycystic ovarian syndrome, etc., etc.

I am hypothyroid and wasn't diagnosed until after cancer. I am sure I was this way for a couple of years. My sister and mother are hypothyroid.

I know your thyroid needs iodine. The seaweeds are good for that.
Have you had an ultrasound of your thyroid done yet or the nuclear scan?  They can do a fine needle biopsy (means it is a skinny needle) of your thyroid nodules and usually know what they are dealing with, as opposed to ovarian where they have to operate to have a definate diagnosis.  I had 2 done and ended up having the nodule on the thyroid removed.  The nodule was fairly big for a neck.  They are related in that both are endocrine glands and controled by another gland in our brains.  Maybe some are just prone to develop cysts.  As we get older thyroids stop producing as much hormone, and we get hypothyroid.  Good luck