Ovarian Cancer Community
13 cm ovarian cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

13 cm ovarian cyst

I just told my friend that I am having an ultrasound tuesday for an enlarged ovary and she told me she felt a mass and had a cat scan done last week and they told her she has a 13cm ovarian cysts.  Has anyone here ever had one that large.  
Does it always require surgery or if you know it is a cyst can you wait and see.  She noticed it a few weeks ago and it is causing some discomfort.

thanks
My goodness yes they can grow huge, some ladies have cysts so large they look like they are in full term pregancy.
If a cyst is over 5cm it will normally require surgery to remove it and the larger it gets the more discomfort she will be in. Please remember the vast majority of cysts are harmless as everyone here will tell you, but it will require investigation to say with any certainty what it is.
Your friend is very lucky to have such a caring friend you are in very good company here.
They do like to grow.  At last ultrasound mine was 19.5cm by 14.6cm.  It doubled in size in a year.  I am having surgery in May.  The doc is not concered that it is cancer but said that they can develop cancer cells over time.  So, your friend should have the surgery.  Hopefully she will feel a lot better after recovery.
hello. i was diagnosed with a 13 centimeter cyst on my right ovary myself like 6 months ago after suddenly feeling a pain on my right side. the pain felt like my appendix had ruptured so i rushed to the er. they gave me pain meds n sent me home. i took the meds and finally the pain subsided. it wasnt long till it returned. so i made a dr. appt. and he put me on birth control for 3 months to try and shrink it. didnt work. so now i have surgery on the 9th of october and i am freaking out because they may have to remove the ovary and the tube as well. im hoping and praying that they will be able to remove it laparascopically. he said he was gonna try and if not then it will be bigger incisions. i dont wanna stay in the hospital so i pray for the small one. does anyone know of a cyst this large being removed laparascopically?? please help.
Hi there.  You have tacked your question onto an old posting.  I would like to suggest that you repost over on the Ovarian Cyst site and you will get more answers.

I have heard of a cyst that is 10 cm being removed laparoscopically.  Myself, I had a 16 cm and due to other surgeries as well had a laparotomy.  Good luck with everything.
A related discussion, 13cm cyst in my ovary was started.