Ovarian Cancer Community
14 cm Multi complex cyst- Should I be scared of hysterectomy at 20?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

I am having surgery in 4 days because of a 14 cm multicomplex cyst on my left ovary which had thick walls and three compartments. I have been in a lot of pain and before the mri ultrasounds had shown that there were only 3 cysts. I am terrified because the doctor had me sign surgical consent to a hysterectomy if necessary meaning that if the cyst was cancerous he would have to perform a hysterectomy. I am only 20 and have always wanted kids. Has anyone had a cyst this large and complex without cancer? How prepared should I be to receive a hysterectomy? Also I am getting and exploratory laparotomy- how much time does it take to recover from that?

This discussion is related to 11.2 cm Complex ovarian cyst.
Tags: multicomplex, Cyst, hysterectomy, laparotomy
Avatar_dr_f_tn
HI,
At your age cancer is not very common; hence the odds are against it. However the final diagnosis can be made only at the time of surgery by direct visualisation and with the help of frozen section. The recovery from exploratory laparotomy may take 8 to 10 days. Recovery is usually good. Hence let us hope for the best.
Take care and good luck.
Thank you very much for you response. I went in earlier on the day of the surgery as emergency because of extreme pain and during surgery my doctor found that I was experiencing ovarian torsion and was able to save a small part of my ovary which was wonderful news! The cyst was benign and after 3 nights in the hospital I am home and resting. It does hurt very much to walk and today is the fifth day, I am hoping that the pain subsides as time passes. Thank you again!