Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
23 cm cyst

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

23 cm cyst

Hi, I am 28 years old and about a few weeks ago I went to the urgent care for lower back pain (I couldn't walk or move or crawl).  They did an X ray and said they would get back to me in a week with the results.  The doctor called and said my spine is a little curved, but nothing major that would cause back pain, but that there was also a cyst on on of my ovaries and I should get an ultrasound.  I call my doctor (new insurance) and they make me an appointment, for one week later.  That appointment was yesterday, but I am left very confused.  He said, according to notes left by the doctor who reviewed my X-Ray that I have a "large" cyst on one of my ovaries.  I asked what "large" meant and he said 23 cm.  Is this really big for a cyst?  He said I would need a CT scan (which I can't get until my referral goes through), then I would need to see a gyno, which I can't do yet becuase insurance chain of command says I have to do CT scan first.  All they did was blood work (for what, I don't know)  The doctor didn't tell me much other than if they have to get rid of the ovary, I'd still have another.   He didn't say surgey, but will that likely happen?  I have a lot of things floating in my mind, words like surgery and even scarier ones like cancer.  I'm trying not to freak out because I have a tendency to do that about health issues.  I have been to the doctor before for things like odd weight gain (over 100 pounds), always tired (I assume because of the weight gain), lower back pain..and nothing ever came of it, blood in my stool/ hard stool (I always figured that was just a result from my c section 5 years prior) can these things be related?  Right after the xray, I was told they saw a lot of poop also.   I should have asked him more questions but I was scared and worried.  Any help or advice would be great and thank you.   I did also ask this question in the public forum, I aplogize for posting it again.  Does size have anything to do with cancer?
1 Comment
Hi there,

I had similar pains and I knew something wasn't right. I went to my ob/gyn and I had two kinds of ultrasounds & a CAT scan. It turns out I had a large mass over 13 cm on my left ovary. This was about a month ago.

I gained about 30 lbs in over 4 months time and I was running almost 5 miles per day and eating only 1400 calories. I knew something was wrong! That could explain your weight gain - depending on what type of cyst it is. Mine was a dermoid cyst. typically not cancerous, but still must be removed.

I just had a laparatomy 2 weeks ago to remove the cyst. When they were in there working on me during the surgery they found another one on my right ovary that was the size of an orange that they had not seen on the CAT scan.

I was a little freaked out at first. However once you get the surgery over with you are asleep and you wake up with a cut the size of a c-section scar. They did the bikini cut on me. It may be different for you depending on your situation.

If you have the surgery...one peice of advice...get up and walk around after the surgery. At least 1x per every 2 hours. The gas pain could go into your shoulder and it HURTS worse than the surgery. I am not sure if cancer should be a worry, just depends on the type of cyst. If its a dermoid, its a 2% chance which is rare!

I am right around the 2 week mark of when I had the surgery. Expect to not do anything for 6 weeks. I took 1 week off of work and I am working from home for the next 2 weeks & wont be traveling or doing any events like I usually do for all of May. Everyone is different. I am a fast healer, but I am still taking my pain meds at night b/c at night is the worst time. My belly gets all puffy and swollen like I swallowed a melon!

I hope my comments helped! It wasnt as bad as I thought, but there is still that healing process. I hope everything turns out well for you and you get better soon. Let me know :-)