Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
49 Years Old Ovarian Cysts now possible hydrosalpinx
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

49 Years Old Ovarian Cysts now possible hydrosalpinx

I'm in my late 40's - hysterectomy about 12 years ago due to large fibroids.  My dr has been following an ovarian cyst with sonos every 3 months over the past year.  The cysts seem to come and go and my dr does not seem terribly concerned. I recently had a repeat sono and now "adjacent to the ovary there is a tubular structure measuring in excess of 4.2 x 2.7 x 1.6 cm which could be hydrosalpinx, fluid-filled bowel or possibly paraovarian cyst". My dr is ok with waiting and watching this on sono to be repeated again in a few months.  Laproscopic surgery is not a good option because of several prior abdominal surgeries with much scar tissue.

Any thoughts?  

Thanks very much
242604_tn?1328124825
Hi there
it may be interesting to check hormone levels and see if you are in menopause
(estrogen, FSH, LH)

it also might be interesting to check a CA 125 level
this is not diagnostic of ovarian cancer but it might be a swing vote for surgery versus continued surveillance.

also I would ask the question, it is there anything else we should be thinking about? do you need your colon checked with a colonoscopy?

ultimately, I personally add up how many tests are you getting and at what pint do you stop checking or just go ahead and have a definitive surgery to remove the ovaries and fallopian tubes.

there are many experts in minimally invasive surgery nowadays. It may be that you could have your surgery laparoscopically
best wishes
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Chemotherapy Tracker