Ovarian Cancer Community
5 cm Complex Cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

5 cm Complex Cyst

Hello all...I posted a while back when I found out my right ovary was enlarged.  About a month ago it was 5cm...this was found on a CT uerogram.  After having an ultra sound done by a lady that seemed like it was her first day.  It read nothing! I was tired of so many tests...that I just dropped it and went on my way.  My family Dr. called me last week and asked that I get another ultrasound.  This result turned out to be an enlarged ovary at 6.4 cm with a complex cyst over 5cm.  I went to my obg and she put me on birth control pills for one month to see if it does anything.  I would love for it to go away with that, but for it to have moved up in size in that short time I am affraid it will not. In one month I have to go back for another test and if it is still there I have to have surgery. I don't know what the surgery is about or what kind. Has anyone had any of these symtoms (symptoms) and or any thoughts to what I have going on. Any idea of what the surgery entails? Any help would be great.
Usually with a cyst that size they do surgery to remove it by scope and then test it , most all are benign,  but you want to make sure.  These darn cysts can cause all kinds of misery  for you.  The scope surgery is easy, 3 to 4 very small incisions, usually home the same day, recovery time about 2 to 4 weeks.  If the BC pills take care of it , that will be great.  Keep us posted  and good luck that it disappears.
I was in your shoes for several months recently.  A CT scan in May 2006 for something totally unrelated found that my right ovary was "enlarged," & an ultrsound was recommended. That showed an ovarian cyst, approx. 4cm. My gyn said we'd "wait & watch " for awhile, as many resolve on their own. 4 months later it was 5.4cm, and was now "complex," with multiple septations, so I was referred to a gyn. oncologist. She also felt comfortable waiting a bit, so a month after that (Nov 2006) another US showed it was a little larger, but now had internal papillary excrescences. The onc. then recommended surgery, though she still was confident it was benign.

I had surgery on Feb 5, 2007. The plan was to remove the problem ovary laparoscopically &, if it was benign, to go ahead and also laparoscopically  remove the other ovary, tubes, uterus, & cervix. I opted for that because, at 53, I was ok with getting everything out & avoiding any further problems down the road.  As it turned out , when the right ovary was removed & examined, the onc. thought it looked suspicious, so she switched and did a laparotomy (the "big" incision) so that she could do a full staging. It turned out that it was
"borderline" , Stage1A ovarian cancer. Luckily, given the type, I don't need any further treatments,  just follow ups with the onc. At surgery, the cyst had grown to 12cm, yet I never had any symptons at all. I was a very lucky lady!!

Chances are , even if yours does not resolve on its own, it will turn out to be benign, and you'll be able to have it removed laparoscopically, ( 3-4 very small incisions, quick recovery). But even though I had to have the big incision, it really was not all that bad; I was up & about the next day, home from the hospital 3 days after surgery, and back to work in 6 weeks. I probably could have gone back in 5 weeks, but had the leave time to take the extra week.

Try not to worry (easier said than done:-). Even if you do have to have surgery, it really was not that bad, and it's better to get it out and be done with it.

Karen

Thank you both for the information.  It seems to be more then I have found any where else.  I have decided that maybe my reg. obg is not the best Dr. for this, so on Monday I am going to make an appointment with an obg/oncologyst for a second opinion.  I will keep you posted on what happens.  Thank you again for all of the helpful information.    Cagney I am glad to see your doing well with your recovery.  
Definitely I would advise seeing a gyn. oncologist. Even though your cyst will likely turn out to be benign, a gyn oncologist is best qualified to handle any sort of ovarian cyst/mass. And, if it would be cancer, or even "borderline,"  you'll want a gyn oncologist to have done your surgery to ensure a thorough/accurate staging was done.

Karen
Thanks Cagney! Just knowing that I am going to see someone more in this field has brought some relief. Reading so many of these posts where woman have gone forever with out resolution or really knowing what to do.  Mostly because there obg wanted to sit and wait.  I have read many posts that show answers when going to an Onc. I know for me it has been a little ongoing as well.  There have been times that during intercourse I had a cyst rupture (at least that is what they told me when going to the dr....again a reg. dr.) Never having any test run then either. I think now it is just the pain of current situation. I think it is time I start asking some questions about things.  I usually let them tell me what "might" be going on.  So here I am now in this position.  I think that the supposed "cysts" that they said ruptured could have been other ones...not what I have going on now as complex cyst, from what I have read it is different type of cyst.   I have researched some doctors that I found in my network and am going to call them tomorrow.  I only hope I can get in tomorrow. Maybe someone will have a cancelled appointment and I can get in. Also from what I have read most likely it will be benign (sp?). which makes me feel good as well.  But I do think it might need to be removed. I will update once I find out more.  And as always...thank you all for your posts.

Sandra