Ovarian Cancer Community
57 yrs old post menopausal cyst on both ovaries

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

I am 57yrs old I have never taken hormone replacement therapy, other than a year of bioidentical hormones estrogen and progestron about two years ago.Not currently taking anything. I have been having pain on my left side and back pain. I had surgery vaginal sling put in and rectocele repair month ago. This is when the doctor told me I had a cyst.I Continue to have left side pain. My doctor has orderd a CA 125 test and I am waiting for results. He is suggesting waiting and monitoring the cysts. Is this a good idea considering my age? Should I get a second opionion?How agressive should I be with this?Here are the finding of the ultrasound.

Uterus is inhomogencous  with several fibroids. Contour is lumpy. Two of the larger fibroids are about 1.9 and 1.7cm and 2.3cm in diameter. endomitrial thickness 4-5 in thickness
The left ovary contains a few very small cysts, left ovary 2.3x1.7x1.5.cm
The right ovary contains a small cyst, right ovary 3.8x2.9. 2.3cm cyst about 2cm in diameter

Conclusion :
Fibriod uterus
Small Bilateral ovarian cysts
No adnexal mass of free fluid is seem
This sounds very much like me.  I, too, am 57 and have had fibroids for years. I've been taking a low dose estrogen patch (Menostar) for a couple years. Last April was diagnosed with ovarian cyst while checking size of fibroids. I had a CA-125 and it was very low  -- 4. I've had a couple follow-up ultrasounds and the cyst has not grown.  Have another next week.  My doctor also suggested that I watch and wait and do follow up with ultrasound.  I am wondering if anyone else had a similar situation that did turn out to be cancer.  I don't know if I should just go ahead and have my ovaries removed or not. I guess the results next week may determine that. I think my cyst is 2-3 cm.

From what I've found online, it seems that benign cysts in post menopausal women is not as uncommon as originally thought. I hope they're right.  Good luck.
I was post menopausal when they found a cyst on my left ovary along with some fibroids in the uterus. The cyst was 7cm at the time. By the time they got through some testing on my heart before the surgery, the cyst was 10 cm when it was removed. They removed the ovary and tube. Everything was benign. So even though the odds of malignancy increase a bit after menopause, the odds are still in our favor, over 90% I believe of a cyst being benign. My doctor did have an oncologist on hand just in case.