Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
5mm mass

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

5mm mass

I have always had regular ovarian cysts they come and go always cause pain but they always go away. 6 months ago we found a small possible mass it looks to be solid on my ovary cant remember which one. It is 5 mm I just had another transvaginal ultrasound a few weeks ago and it was still there he said it could be a dermoid but dont dermoids grow? He said we would look again in another 6 months and if it is still there and hasnt grown then we will just leave it. I dont know if I should have more testing considering it looks solid. He said it could be nothing things dont just grow on your ovary and show up white on ultrasounds. Should I get more testing or see a specialist or something?
Hi There,
it sounds like you are in good hands. Dermoids are the most common benign ovarian tumor. 5 mm is pretty small. It will take years to grow. If you are not interested in child bearing and you find it is too stressful to just repeat ultrasounds, you could always have this ovary removed. When something is this small, it is hard to just remove it and preserve the ovary becasue it is in the center of the ovary.

I would vote for rechecking in 3 to 6 months
take care
Did you mean to say 5 mm instead of 5 cm? Just wondering if it was a typo. 5 mm is only about 1/4 inch and that's small as far as cysts go. From what I've read recently cysts aren't considered a concern until they reach 5 cm or more. Under 5 cm, the doctors keep a close eye on them.
No its not a cyst it is a mass!! Yes it is 5mm I wouldnt be worried if it was just a cyst they are saying it could be a dermoid but doesnt dermoids grow like really big? And if its not a dermoid he said it could be cancer but the chances are nill should I get more testing done?
Please help doc!!