Ovarian Cancer Community
7cm Ovarian Dermoid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

7cm Ovarian Dermoid

I have been told that I have a 7cm dermoid cyst on my right ovary.  I had a CT scan on Weds Aug 3 at 8 am and knew at 3pm what the diagnosis was.  My doctor told me they would call and refer me to the gyno on Thursday.  Thurs at 9am the referral person called and said they could get me in on Sept 7 with one.  20 minutes later she called back and said they could get me in that day with the Dr. on call if I could go right away. I went to see the gyno and she set me up for a laparotomy on Aug 18.  My question are: Is it normal to have my regular Dr. want me seen right away and have everything be so quick? and Is 7 cm for a cyst really big or more dangerous?  I am 26 and have never had any medical problems except for 2-3 periods a year- if that. The gyno also said something about polycystic ovaries. Is that something serious?   Thanks for any help or reassurance I can get- this has my nerves totally fried.
Welcome to the site.  The thing with dermoids is that they do not resolve on their own and true dx can only be made with pathology.  Although 99% of ovarian cysts are benign, you are wise in seeking medical attention.  I am glad that you have gotten such a quick surgery date.  I had 2 softball sized dermoids along with my left ovary and 90% of my right ovary removed 12/21/2006.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
i too have a 7x7cm. dermoid . I'm having mine removed on the 17th of aug. ; i'm quite nervice. The first doctor i saw told me it was the size of a gratefruit. I got a second opinion and i really like my new doctor. Can anyone share a speedy recovery for those of us that are waiting?  And i hope all goes well for you.
Hi there and welcome.  Don't rush your recovery!!!  You will need plenty of rest and no lifting, vacuming, etc.  You need to be treated like the princess that you are!
~Tascha
hey there, i had a dermoid cyst on my right ovary also 7x5cm (quite a common size!) i was only 20 at the time & was suddent;y struck down with the pain which seemed to come out of nowhere. i was booked in to have it removed the following week which resulted in the removal of the whole ovary as it had completely overtaken it. the surgery went smoothly. Just make sure you rest completely for 7-8 weeks. if you dont you will ultimately slow down healing (internal bruising etc) i am having a ct scan next week 4 a large cyst on my left ovary. i am experiencing pain with this and fatigue. i was wondering does anybody else feel tired with ovarian cysts? good luck to all of you, jane 22
Hi, On my 21st birthday I was diagnosed with a Dermoid cyst on my right ovary which is infact 7 cm. i dont have medical insurance right now and am in the process of trying to get all matters resolved quickly so that I can hurry up and get my surgery. I have so many questions and worries and have no one to talk to . The doctors say they will most likely remove my right ovary. Is this going to hurt my chances of ever becoming pregnant? also, after I have my surgery how likely is it that another cyst may come back on my last ovarie the (left one?) how can i prevent cysts and how fast do these things grow? im very worried that if i have to wait to get my surgery done it will get bigger and maybe burst... if that happens, what will happen too me?

thank you
Nanci