Ovarian Cancer Community
Abdominal MRI with contrast to see inside tumor...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Has anyone ever had an abdominal MRI so that the Dr. can see what is inside the mass? I know they are using contrast. What should I expect?
-5 Comments
I didn't have an MRI; I had a ct but it was "with contrast".  When I arrived at the hospital I was given a not so tasty drink every 30 minutes until 3 drinks were consumed (one hour lapsed time). I was then called in for the procedure. An IV was started but was not hooked up until the first pictures were taken; then the die was injected into the already placed iv and pictures were taken again and it was over.
I think an MRI is noisy and ear plugs with music is provided; this is a piece of cake ; do not worry; just get it behind you and find out what you are fighting.
Be brave. fight the fight and know we are right there next to you; we are also behind you in case you loose your balance; we will catch you. Hang in there Kiddo; we are there for each other.

dian07
They will give you an IV to inject the contrast into your body.  This type of contrast has virtually no sode effects (CT contrast dye can cause allergic reaction in some because of the iodine).  They probably want to see if your mass has blood flow thru its own supply or no flow at all.  Good luck and let us know!!
Thanks everyone! I was talkign to one of my coworkers today about everything that is going on. I told her how I have my period every two-three weeks for 1.5-2 weeks. She looked at me and commented how awful it must be and what an effect it has on my marriage and sex life. I could have cried after all these years of being told nothing wass wrong and that it was no big deal! I now know I'm not crazy for being upset. Every Dr. until this gyn/oncologist really wasn't concerned about my bleeding all the time. He said he also wants this MRI to see my uterus well. I was really disappointed they woouldn't just go in and cut this thing out, but at least they are taking care of me. Thanks for the support! It means a lot!!)
I had an MRI as a diagnostic tool for cysts.  It took about 25 minutes initially and then an additional 5 minutes to look at a different area.  They gave me an injection to relax my muscles so they could get a clearer view, but to be honest, I didn't notice it do anything.  

What they could see on my MRI was really good muscle definitition (:-), two cysts which were fluid filled and diagnosed as simple, but still await surgery because of my CA125.  

It's not scary, but you may be told that you can take your music in.