Ovarian Cancer Community
Abdominal Pain and Bloating During Chemo

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Ladies,

My mom is at the end of her third cycle of Carbo/Taxotere.  She is having a lot of abdominal discomfort and is a little bloated.  (Not significantly...)  Is this normal?  Just worried that the beast is not responding to the treatment.  I'm trying not to be paranoid, but they don't want to do another scan for a least a month and time is so very precious.

Thanks,

Karen
Has she called her chemo nurse or doctor? I encouraged my mother to call with any symptoms to make sure that 1) she's reporting any issues and 2) if they can continue to calm her about these things..so be it.

I think each person's chemo response is so unique.  Is she experiencing a fever or spotting or any other symptoms.

My best advice is to call teh chemo nurse or contact person and have them discuss it with mom.

Meg
Meg,

Thanks for the advice.  She has been talking to her chemo nurses and Oncologist, and they have advised that it is not unusual.  I just wanted to hear from other members to see if they have experienced that.  

Karen
what stage is your mom and have they suggessted IP  or was she an early stage
Her original surgery in Dec 07 was Stage I, but she metatisized with bowel involvement less than 8 weeks after that.  So, what stage?  Recurrent, probably would be considered Stage III.

Karen
Hi Karen... I hope your Mum gets the good responses from this chemo combination that I've had on two different occasions in the past. Taxotere is known to retain fluid, so that could account for the bloatedness your Mum is feeling. My ankles and wrists swelled when I was doing this chemo, but everything will be o.k. a little while after she finishes the treatments. The abdominal discomfort could be from adhesions after her operation, They too, will eventually settle down. I feel that your Mum will feel a whole lot better after the final chemo treatment, and I hope it works really good for her.
Wishing you and your Mum all the best...hugs...Helen..
Hi there,

I have stage 4 Ovarian cancer and during chemo my stomach giot very bloated and I did have slight abdominal pain.  It didnt mean the chemo wasnt working as I went into remission
My mum had boating during treatment during the last 3 circles of chemo. As the treatment went on the bloating started subsiding.  Try to be patient, (I know it is not easy) and hopefully things will work out.  The fact alone that the doctors keep on with the chemo means that they believe it is working.

God bless
Thanks for all the kind responses.  It helps to know that others have experienced this type of symptoms as well.  Plus, I hadn't even really considered the surgical adhesions.

Thanks everyone, hugs to all of you.

Karen
Don't be scared! my Mum got the same problems....sometimes she couldn't even reach the bathroom....but after 8 chemos  this unconvenience was over and the beast (that's the right name!!) disapperared, at least for the moment.
You look so sweet and lovely with her. Just assure her that the beast death is near!
I pray for your mother and...all daughters in our situation.

A big hug from Italy
It is quite common and I had the same thing with my carbo/taxol.  I would definitely keep advising her to call her chemo nurses when she has odd little things happen, because they don't always tell you about all of the side effects and I personally don't even think they know all the effects of these drugs.  I have heard from many people that they have effects they know are attributable to the chemo, but they are not on the official list.  Hang in there
I had surgery and chemo (last May-Sept) and I have had bad bloating ever since about the 5th chemo. Normal CAT scan after treatment ended. My gyn/onc says the bloating isn't pathological. My CA-125 is low. But gee, it hurts, keeps me up at night (it's only bad at night) and I can't seem to fix it. Anyone had this pattern and have it go away? Anyone know diet changes that help?

Of course it's not fun that bloating was a symptom of the tumor and now bloating reminds me of that, but I've checked other sites and people with diff. chemo/cancers get bloating too. They all worry, but it's not cancer, it's a chemo side effect, it seems. Thanks for listening. Be well, sisters.