Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Abdominal Pain and Swelling

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Abdominal Pain and Swelling

On July 24 I went for an outpatient laparoscopy  surgery to remove my left ovary and a large "pelvic mass" (I guess doctors aren't allowed to say "tumor" anymore). I already had a hysterectomy and right ovary removed 10 years ago. Unfortunately the laparoscopy turned into  a laparotomy with a brief hospital stay.  The "mass" was evidently quite large as I came home ten pounds lighter.  Fortunately everything was benign. I recently went to the Dr. for final follow up and I still feal awful.  My stomach is so swollen I look three months pregnant.  It hurts to drive and I can't even carry a gallon of milk without buckling at the knees from the pain in my stomach.  I was sent for a CT scan and the Dr. called to tell me that the results were fine and there is nothing more for him to do and that I should go see a regular Dr. in case something else is wrong.  Basically he told me to go away and ask someone else.  He is retiring at the end of the month and it is very obvious the he really doesn't care.  After almost eight weeks, why am I still in so much pain and why am I so swollen?  I just want to be able to pick up my grandkids again but I am afraid to.  Will I hurt myself if I try to resume my very active lifestyle.?
Hi There,
it sounds like you should get your reports of the surgery, the pathology report, and your ct scan. Make sure that you are not missing any information.
It could be that yu just need more time to heal. The most common problem I see postop if that people try to do too much too soon. they then get a bad sprain of the abdominal muscle. If you are not sure, go back to your doctor again or see another surgeon. But get your reports first.
What kind of tumor did you have?
take care