Ovarian Cancer Community
Abnormal bleeding and mildly enlarged uterus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

I've had abnormal bleeding (for the first time)this month and went to te gyn for a checkup.  I haven't been in about 3 years (I know, not smart) because I got a divorce and lost my health insurance.  Anyway, I started my period, went a little long (9 days) and then stopped for 2 days and then started for a couple of days and then had a full blown period again.  I have an endometrioma on my c-section scar that hurts every month and I've known for a long time that I have to get that taken care of.  My gyn sent me for an ultrasound, vaginal and topical, and it cambe back that my uterus was mildly enlarged, but no sign of anything else.  Now she wants to do a endo biopsy next week.  She's says its just for precaution.  However, I'M WORRIED.  Any thoughts???
Stastically speaking, you probably have a condition like endometriosis or perhaps fibroids.  However, even if the biopsy does show something more serious, keep in mind that your symptoms have just begun.  This means that even if you have something more serious than endo and 'broids, then you have caught it at an early stage.  Last but not least, do not blame yourself for not having been to the doctor in so long. The pap smear checks for cervical cell conditions, and rarely detects problems inside of the uterus.  You might have been seeing your gyn all along, and still have these sudden onset symptoms of a condition that previously undetected during your exams.
The ultrasound y'day showed nothing except that my uterus was mildly enlarged.  My endo biopsy is tomorrow at 11:00.  I'm trying not to worry. The doctor says there is nothing to worry about, but I know that it's her job to say that.  With the endometrioma on my c-section scar I wonder if it's endo that has spread.  Will endo cause the irregular bledding and pain?  If there was anything to worry about would it more than likely have shown up on the ultrasound?

Sorry, but I'm new at having anything wrong with me and I'm a single Mom with two kids and I'm terrified of what lies ahead.

Oh, yes, the endometriosis would definitely cause pain, abdominal swelling, and heavy bleeding.   And, no, endometriosis does not show up on an ultrasound.

Given that you have only recently begun having symptoms, that  your uterus is only mildly enlarged, and that no polyps or other tissue formations were noted inside your uterus, it is truly not likely that you have any life-threatening conditions.