Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Abnormal ovary

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Abnormal ovary

Hi, An ultrasound in June revealed that I had a tender, enlarged ovary. I was referred to a womans clinic who performed another ultrasound 2 months later and again found an abnormal ovary, the report indicates that the morphology is atypical and that normal stroma of the ovary is not identified. I was then referred to a gynae oncologist who has indicated that she would only know by doing exploratory surgery.  She said because it has not grown in size it is probably not cancer.  There is also no vascularity noticed in the ovary. I would appreicate your comments here. Thank you
Hi There,
I am unable to comment without the exact ultrasound report
if you are able to write it in, I can give my opinion
take care
Hi, yes please see below. (I have condensed it as it is very long)

Image Findings: The uterus is bulky with a volume of 170cc. The myometrium is equal in thickness both anterior and posterior, though there is quite marked shadowing from the anterior myometrium. This latter observation raises the question of adenomyosis. No focal mass or abnormal vascularity in relation to the endometrium is present.
The left ovary has a volum of 7.9cc (27x24x22mm). It is heterogeneous in texture, with a whorled appearance as predominant features. Normal stroma of the ovary is not identified. No vascularity to the left ovary.
The right ovarian volume is normal at 8.2cc (32x20x24) There is an 18mm dominant follicle. The vascular pattern is otherwise normal. Incidental note of a 12mm fimbrial cyst.
No free fluid within the pelvis or subphrenic spaces.
Comment:
The morphology of what we have called the left ovary is atypical for the ovary. I have reviewed the images from the recent acute event and the left ovarian morphology is stable. Possible causes include endometriosis, hemorrhagic follicle and other avascular causes for the appearance may need consideration, eg fibroma. In view of the recent pain I would suggest gynaelogical review as the acute episode may be explained by torsion. The right ovary has normal morphology with a dominant follicle. Adenomyosis is suggested by the bulky uterus, however other ultrasound criteria is not met and I believe adenomyosis is unlikely.
Hi There
thank you for the extra information

Your ovaries are normal size. And they have not changed. This very careful radiologist is giving you alot of descriptive information that is probably not clinically important.
Ultimately I would say they are normal.

Adenomyosis is a condition where benign glands from the lining of the uterus are present in the muscle wall of the uterus. This makes the wall of the uterus thick. Clinically, many woman have pain and heavy bleeding.Sometimes their symptoms are so severe that they need a hysterectomy for relief.
This is not a cancerous condition.

this link is accurate.
best wishes

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002481/
hi am nida..
recently i have been operated an ovarian cyst from my left ovary today after 1 and half month i did my ultrasound again i found out...my left ovary volume is 7cc and size is 27*18mm just want  to confirm is it normal...i had my periods twice this month..just little worried..
hi am nida..
recently i have been operated a fibroid and ovarian cyst from my left ovary today after 1 and half month i did my ultrasound again i found out...my left ovary volume is 7cc and size is 27*18mm just want  to confirm is it normal...i had my periods twice this month..just little worried..
sorry fibroid was not in ovary...
A related discussion, does this sound like cancer? was started.