Ovarian Cancer Community
Abnormal pap??Scared

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Abnormal pap??Scared

Im 24 years old, I have been having problems lately, I have been really tired, my hair is thining, swollen stomach, spotting between periods, very light periods with a lot of mucus, and i have been have horrible pain in my lower abdomen with a heaving feeling. I don't have a discharge. I was two weeks late on my last period so I went to the dr. adn he did a prego test and it came back neg. So they did a pap smear and blood work and he told me that my right ovary is inlarged with a growth on it and my cervix is irrated and inflamed. Should I be worry?? I go in for more test monday.
You are doing the right thing by going for follow-up tests. Find out the results and go from there. Right now with so little information it would be hard to guess at what is going on. For your hair to be thinning I would suggest a thyroid test. Also some forms of birth control cause the hair to thin. Good luck to you. Marie
Pap smears do not detect OVCA, you evidently had a pelvic for the doctor to visulize the cervix and the inflamation (inflammation), what you need  is a TVUS,  transvaginal ultra sound, that will show the ovaries and what ever the involvment is there. 95% of all cysts on the ovary are benign, but they can and do cause symptoms like you are having . A thyroid can cause the other problems as can a hormone embalance.  How was he able to tell you that you have an inlarged ovary with a cyst?