Ovarian Cancer Community
Abraxane instead of Taxol

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Abraxane instead of Taxol

Has anyone's doctor agreed to prescribe the Abraxane/Carboplatin combination instead of Taxol/Carboplatin for ovarian cancer?  I know it's already being prescribed for breast cancer.  

For those who don't know, Abraxane is also paclitaxel but bound to a human protein and dissolvable in blood.  Taxol, the traditional paclitaxel, is used with chemical solvents which cause a lot of side effects and require pre-medication.  Taxol takes several hours whereas Abraxane has brought the chemo procedure down to 30 minutes, because it goes directly in the blood.  Abraxane reduces the amount of poisionous solvents in the body and allows for higher doses of the drug which may better influnce the tumor.

I want to ask our doctor to switch my mom to Abraxane (she has stage IV and doing chemo before surgery) but afraid that I will be shot down.  The reason is that Abraxane just got FDA approval in February 2005 and the original test group were breast cancer patients.  So officially it's approved for the treatment of breast cancer.  But because it's basically the same drug, paclitaxel (just delivered differently), in a year or two it's probably going to be used for all types of cancer that Taxol is used for.  Obviously we can't afford waiting for all the bureaucracy to settle, especially if the drug is available now.

Has anyone here spoken to their doctors about this or been actually treated with Abraxane for ovarian cancer?
1 Comment
My mother-in-law has ovarian cancer and is currently being treated with Abraxane. She previously had bad reactions to Taxol, thus her doctor is trying Abraxane instead. My mother-in-law has only received one chemo treatment thus far, but it caused little side effects which is great. The only problem is that Abraxane, at least among the insurance companies, seems to only be approved for the treatment of breast cancer. Thus we are currently battling with Blue Cross to see if we can get the claims covered and paid. The doctor treating my mother-in-law has other collegues that have successfully treated ovarian cancer patients with Abraxane and have also found ways to get the patients' claims paid. We are providing such evidence to the insurance company in hopes that they will consider our situation.