Ovarian Cancer Community
Abraxane instead of Taxol
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Abraxane instead of Taxol

Has anyone's doctor agreed to prescribe the Abraxane/Carboplatin combination instead of Taxol/Carboplatin for ovarian cancer?  I know it's already being prescribed for breast cancer.  

For those who don't know, Abraxane is also paclitaxel but bound to a human protein and dissolvable in blood.  Taxol, the traditional paclitaxel, is used with chemical solvents which cause a lot of side effects and require pre-medication.  Taxol takes several hours whereas Abraxane has brought the chemo procedure down to 30 minutes, because it goes directly in the blood.  Abraxane reduces the amount of poisionous solvents in the body and allows for higher doses of the drug which may better influnce the tumor.

I want to ask our doctor to switch my mom to Abraxane (she has stage IV and doing chemo before surgery) but afraid that I will be shot down.  The reason is that Abraxane just got FDA approval in February 2005 and the original test group were breast cancer patients.  So officially it's approved for the treatment of breast cancer.  But because it's basically the same drug, paclitaxel (just delivered differently), in a year or two it's probably going to be used for all types of cancer that Taxol is used for.  Obviously we can't afford waiting for all the bureaucracy to settle, especially if the drug is available now.

Has anyone here spoken to their doctors about this or been actually treated with Abraxane for ovarian cancer?