Ovarian Cancer Community
Abraxane?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Abraxane?

Hello--
I am writing to see if anyone can give me more information on Abraxane use in Ovarian Cancer--I have seen some old posts from 2005 on here, but nothing more recent.

My mother is 56 and was diagnosed with Stage IIIc in 2005--debulking/staging surgery and 6 cycles of chemo (taxol), but now has a recurrence of her disease.  We are devastated as anyone may imagine--life just keeps throwing us challenges we don't need.  If you have any information or can direct me to any information that would be truly appreciated.

Worried Son828
Abraxane has a website abraxane.com. I am not familiar with it. The last ovarian use I could find was a phase 2 trial around July 07. It is taxol plus a human blood protein albumin. The drip was 30 minutes compared to 3 hrs. for taxol. Is this what the dr. has decided to use? Will it be combined with another chemo? I am 54 and am on chemo for recurrence. Abraxane does not seem to be one of the group used on recurrence is why I ask. It is usually a repeat of the original drugsif there has been a 6 month to a year remission. Other common ones are doxil, gemzar,taxotere. topotecan, and avastin.
It belongs to taxol family and it has been proved for breast cancer, it is in trail for OVCA. U can find more info on the web as msjazz mentioned. I just want to add since albumin is a human protein already, it will not need premedication as taxol does,30min compare to 3 hrs, and grade4 neuropathy is much less that using taxol.  I have used Abraxane for consolidation chemo. So far so good and one more to go.  Best wish for your mom.

Peace

Jun
The other 2 have told you about as much as I know of abraxane too. It is a reformation of the drug taxol. And yes it takes about 30 min to recieve via IV drip. I am currently on Avastin/ Abraxane myself. It has a few of the same side effects as taxol, just not quite as harsh. I did start losing my hair and shaved it off but it did not come completely out like on taxol. It is very thin in places so I would have shaved it anyway, but it is already growning. But I do recieve premeds with it. Plus I take 2 tylenols and 1 compazine before hand. I hope that all goes well for your mom.
    Chris
Hello there. I will be taking Abraxane as well. I don't know too much about it yet, but I will let you know once the drug is given. I'm not sure I will give the best advice because this drug is one of the 5 other chemo drugs given to me at the same time. Best of luck to your mom and keep us posted. With love, Deandra