Ovarian Cancer Community
Additional Factors Causing False Positives or Erratic CA 125 Values

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

My wife had oviarian cancer and during the screening process had a CA 125 value of >4000. The operation and subsiquent chemo regement went extreamly well. When it was all over her CA 125 values were in the single digit range. That was five years ago. Just recently her CA 125 started going up. 20's, 30's and up. They found a mass which they cannot identify near her colon but her doctor was not alarmed. It was discovered that she also had four bad teeth which had absessed. They were removed but after a recovery period the CA 125 had gone up 10 more points. The doctor had her wait 30 days and do another CA 125. Now the numbers are going down. What types of non-cancer things can make the CA 125 go up and down. Is stress a factor? Infections, colds ect.
1 Comment
CCF-RN, MSN-RF,
Thank you for the quick reply. Please allow me to clarify my statement / question - my wifes' OBGYN - ONC is following the situation and we all are concerned but there is a great lack of information availible to do research about. Check me if I'm wrong but isn't it the CA 125 effect of the protein marker accumulative so that once the process of cancer growth starts the level of protein marker can only go up or stall until something is done to mitigate the situation. As far as I can tell by my limited research the CA 125 level most always goes up until surgery or cemo effects the cancer.
We need to find out if other infections in the body or stress can effect the CA 125 like irritable bowel syndrom (syndrome) can. Understandably this in itself is causing great stress on my wife. If there is no data availible could you please tell us what the popular opinion amoung oncologists is. Thank you.
A related discussion, ca125 was started.