Ovarian Cancer Community
Adrenal mass is actually an ovarian mass

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

I was originally diagnosed with a 10 cm adrenal mass but after ct scan was repeated it was found to be an ovarian mass of the same size.  The surgeon said the mass was "thick" around the outside and contained "lines" thru it.  This was described with a hand written picture.  Why would they send me to a oncologist gyn rather than just a normal surgeon?
its proberly a dermoid cyst, very common grown on or inside your overy. I just had one removed a week ago
Welcome!  Gyn/Oncs are specialists in the female reproductive area.  It could be that your gyn just was not comfortable doing the sx himself.  Not all gyns have experience in the area of ovarian cysts.  Although 99% of ovarian cysts are benign, you are wise in seeking medical attention.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
I would second the oncologist for the expertise. I recently had a cyst removed and remember the conflict over what it was. Wasn't till I got to John's Hopkins that I felt better as they are much more skilled. It's more about comfort with your surgeon then it is cancer.

Linda
The down time could be 1 week...to resume normal activities.  I've had friends do it on a Friday and go back to work on Monday and others down for a bit longer.  I guess it will truly depend on how your body handles the healing procoess.  Just don't force yourself too soon.

Shawn
With the cyst being 10 cm, will they do the surgery laproscopically and if so what is the down time?
Could it have been an Adnexal mass - that's what I had it does mean ovarian.  

Be pleased that they are sending you to a gyn-onc your dr is doing the right thing.  Gyn-onc are the ones to go to for surgery of this nature.  In other words if you hadn't been sent to one everyone here would recommend you be reffered to one.  The gyn-onc will likely order some blood tests including a CA-125.  Which can be elevated in benign conditions but can provide some info to the dr.  They may be able to the surgery laproscopy but once they have a look at it they'll know from looking around whether they will have to do a laprotomy.  If the mass is too large or perhaps moved into the fallipian tube (mine was) they may switch to a laprotomy.  A scope surgery is usually 2-3 weeks recovery while a laprotomy is usually 6-8weeks recovery.  
Let us know how you're appt goes.
Debbie
Found out today that I need to have at least the one ovary removed.  I asked about the mass as to what kind it was and was told the ovary itself is as big as a grapefruit.  I decided to to a complete hysto.  No worries after that.  They are giving me a 30% chance of cancer.