Ovarian Cancer Community
Advanced Ovarian Cancer and Autonomic Failure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

My mom has advanced ovarian cancer.  It has filled her abdomen pushing everything out of its way.  She has had a progressive neurodegenerative condition that has caused symptoms since around 2003.  Because of her autonomic dysfunction it has made her an extremely complex and high-risk patient.  We found out at the end of may and that was our one shot at surgery.  Her ca-125 number would make anyones jaw drop.  She is on a feeding tube that goes directly into her intestine.  I do keep wondering how her neurological condition could be related.  We are left to watch her tumor stretch her skin and say our goodbyes.  It is frustrating when feeding tube formulas contain so much soy when hers is estrogen receptor positive.  Also the corn syrup and dairy ingredients are terrible for cancer.  She is the most precious amazing person one could ever meet.  She just can't die.  Does anyone have advice for anything to help her?  
1 Comment
I am so terribly sorry.  I assume that your mom has the aide of hospice?  That her pain her being managed?  Has your mom made specific wishes made?  Watching a loved one die simply is the most devasting experience anyone could imagine.  And it's hard to let go and to accept that this person whom you love so dearly will die or will no longer be there.  
All I can say is love her all you can, makes sure she is as pain free as possible.  I know there are options you can make as to the type of nutrients she receives.  I read an article from John Hopkins, Understanding Cancer, and the reference they made to cancer cells and sugar, nutrition, etc.  
It's just a time that you need to really come together with your family and love your mom.  I am so sorry that this horrid disease is once again lurking in the shadows.  I will keep your mom and your family in my prayers.  God Bless.  Jane