Ovarian Cancer Community
Advice needed! Terrified!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Advice needed! Terrified!

Hi all,
Had ultrasound scan done (for horrendously heavy/painful periods) and a 4cm complex cyst was detected on my right ovary (left not visable), plus a couple of simple cysts. CA125 slightly raised at 32 and loads of symptoms of OC. Waiting for CT scan.
Why the CT, can this detect malignancy or are they checking if this cyst is attached to anything else? Been informed they will have a meeting to discuss the CT before they call me back to clinic.
I had a scan in january this year and that was clear, so could this be early detection if its cancer?
Had a termination (also in jan) and had retained products and infection, could this be something thats formed with what was left behind?
Also has anyone any idea if the CT will involve contrasting?
Sorry for all the questions, but I'm going out of my mind with worry. I've since spoken to my gyne and she has agreed that whatever the outcome she will perform a hysterectomy....drastic I know if this is nothing, but I never want to be in this situation again.
Hope someone can share some advice/experiances
Ovarian Cancer can only be detected through a biopsy.

They are running all these tests to get a look at the cysts that you have.  A slightly raised CA125 of 32 does not mean anything.  It is within normal ranges and a CA125 does not detect OvCa, it is best used as a marker in someone already diagnosed with the disease.

The symptoms of OvCa would be the same for plain ordinary cysts, and IBS and numerous other issues.   IT's good to be proactive, but, try not to scare yourself.

A CT Scan with contrast consists of drinking 3 large, very large vessels of dye, it is a flavored fruit drink and they will also put in an IV of dye for a few minutes.  It does not hurt and the only side effect I have ever had, was the need to be near a bathroom, as the stuff goes right through me.

If there is the slightest chance that this could be OvCa, PLEASE, be certain that the surgery is performed by a GYN/Oncologist.  They have 3 years additional training and studies have shown a greater success  and or longer time between recurrence rate when the surgery is done by a GYN/Oncologist.

Most ovarian cysts, masses, etc are benign.  Try not to worry until you know you have something to worry about.
Thanks for your reply. I'm so anxious due to what thay gyn doc said which was 'we cannot rule anything out, this cyst has a  large solid structure which looks suspicious'...I know they can't tell you its nothing when it could be!
Im scheduled for CT a week today and have been told they will call me to clinic after an MDT meeting. I'm assuming the CT is due to the cyst being in the adnexa (which I presume could be ovary/fallopian) but seen as they have agreed to hysterectomy I wonder why they just don't do the surgery?
Thanks again
They want to see what is there and what they are looking at before they go in.  Sometimes I think that it is insurance companies that demand these tests before the doctors can do anything more.   Also your age, you are young to have a hysterectomy, so the doctors want to get the best possible picture.

If there is a the slightest doubt that it could be something, please be certain, if possible, that the surgery is done by a GYN/Oncologist.  If it is something, you want the best chance!!!!