Ovarian Cancer Community
Alcohol and Chemotherapy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Alcohol and Chemotherapy?

Hi Everyone... Just a general query, and would be interested in hearing what you girls think. I like a glass of red wine with dinner at night... only have the one generally, 2 at the max. We talked about this at the Oncology unit I attend, and the nurses there said that it's not good to drink any alcohol while on chemo, for at least a week after infusion, while others say there's nothing wrong with having some, providing it's in moderation. The nurses say that the liver has enough toxins to deal with while on the chemo, so to give the liver a rest off the alcohol for a week or maybe two. Red wine is said to be a good antioxident, so I can't see how it would upset the liver.
Any info on this, anyone?
Wishing you all the best, and hoping things are going o.k. wherever you are.... Helmar.
Not sure but Milk Thistle supplement is good to take for chemo as it protects the liver.
I like the wine also. A good small glass of wine. But while doing chemo I do it occasionally. My blood sugar is also too sensitive. So sometimes I have just about 2 ounces for the taste!!!
Yes, milk thistle is good and there are studies also good while on chemo.

My onc recommends that I drink red wine often. I asked him is there anything that I can take for my severe anxiety and he said a glass of wine. If it is something you really enjoy and you still tolerate it while on chemo I would say go for it in small moderation. I usually do not have a drink until about 5 or 6 days after my chemo -when my normal feeling returns.
Your doctor advised you to have wine to deal with severe anxiety, bit unorthadox.

There is never anything wrong with one glass of red - you can even have that when your pregnant!

Anna x

I would say that a glass of wine is fine.  The worst thing for your liver on top of the toxins from the chemo is having to deal with fat.  Best advice?  Eat and drink sensibly.
I read somewhere where a a glass of wine helped the appetite while on chemo.  I enjoyed a glass of wine while I was on it.  I usually avoid it because I turn bright red, however while one Chemo - no red.
While I was on chemo I drank wine when I wanted a glass of wine....heck, how much damage can a glass of red wine do compared to the poison being put in your veins! A glass or two of red wine is beneficial to the body, and when undergoing chemo, I think the body just might appreciate a little pleasure.
Peace.
dian