Ovarian Cancer Community
Am I alone here?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Am I alone here?

I have read many posts of women with stage 3C ovarian cancer. However every body seems to have been in remission. I was diagnosed with stage 3C in December 2010. Have since then been on non-stop chemo. Nothing seems to be working to the extend of placing me in remission. I am on my 7th different chemo drugs right now. My CA 125 has been as high as 2600. The lowest after the surgery and the first round of chemo was 58. I have tolerated the chemo's pretty well. But the frustration that not one drug is totally effective is really getting to me. Thank God, by nature I am a very positive person but I keep thinking there will be a day I have exhausted all chemo options. I would like to get in touch with women who have this same problem. We may learn from each other.
This disease is rough.  

Sorry that I don't fall into the same category as you, but, can tell you that I have known many women diagnosed with 3C and 4 that lived many many years on chemo, different types of chemo.

Unfortunately, as you know, there is no one chemo that does work for OvCa.
I was diagnosed with 3c Clear cell in May of last year. Clear Cell is a more aggressive form of Ovarian Cancer. As of October of last year it went to my liver and lymph nodes so it is stage 4. I did 6 Taxotere/Carboplatin. Soon I am starting a clinical trial with Doxil and AMG 386. I might get the placebo. I won't know.  I am an active person I ride horses, train service dogs, do yoga, garden, and swim. I am 50 years old I am BRCA 1 positive and I have had Multiple Sclerosis for 48 years.

I had symptoms of Ovarian Cancer for six years but my Doctors ignored me. I bled for two years straight, I threw up everything I ate for two years after I stopped bleeding. I dropped weight and had the classic belly. The cancer went to my diaphragm so I had diaphragm spasms for two years. I lost a lot of weight. It was hard to miss something was seriously wrong. My Grandmother and aunt died of Ovarian Cancer in their 50's and I told the Doctors. They did an ablation and I still bled all the time for a year. Both my Ovaries were Cancerous and my bowels were blocked.

For me Doctors are always a day late and a dollar short.

I am in a Ovarian Support Group. One lady was diagnosed with stage four she has constantly been on different chemo. She is still very active and ten years out. The other lady has had many different chemos.

I figure I will be on many different ones as well.

Alex

Thank you so much for your reply. It gave me a good feeling. My scan was this time unchanged which is good. It was just so frustrating to go on so many different chemo's without any significant effect. But I am very happy that I can tolerate all treatments without major complications.
I am so sorry to hear you had to go through so many years before you were diagnosed! Unbelievable, especially since ovarian cancer is in your family. I hope you are doing OK now that you are on treatment.

Thank you for your reply though. I was never symptomatic, went to my gynecologist after a couple days of bleeding (I am 63) he found a cyst and referred me to an oncologist.

Good luck you you.
I am here anytime if you want to shoot me a message. I am only an expert on my Cancer but I can listen and I do care. It helped when I was diagnosed with MS to email other people with similar stories. I have a face to face ovarian support group I go to once a month.

I have never been on Doxil and the ladies were able to share their experiences with it. We sure do laugh, no one would guess there were several stage 4 Ovarian Cancer patients if they were out in the hall.

Alex