Ovarian Cancer Community
An Update

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

An Update

Hey everyone, I posted last week talking about my mum that was in the process of being diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Well we went to see the Gyn/Onc the other day who confiremd that mum had a 5cm cyst on her right ovary..and that her CA-125 levels had come back at 245...is that high? He seemed to indicated that sometimes women with ovarian cancer can have levels well into the thousands.
So she has an operation scheduled for the 30th to have a total hystorectomy. Despite her having other tests such as a CT scan to scan the lymphic system, he did not say whether anything had spread anywhere...no news if good news I guess. So all in all quite relieved. I guess anyone who has been through this would realise that the mind can start playing tricks on you...especially after just last week at work someone retired after being told they have terminal cancer which is just awful. We seem to have a way forward now with a possible opportunity that this could maybe be cured with surgery. Any thoughts are most welcome. xxxx Hope you are all having a good day and again thanks for your support xxx
The 30th is not that far away.  I am sure that everyone is looking forward to having the mass removed and moving into the next step of recovery and treatment.  

The CA125 is high, anything over 35 is considered to be elevated, and there are people that have their numbers in the 10's of thousands...however the number, on the higher end or lower end above normal does not diagnosis the extent of the disease.  Also, a CA125 can be off for numerous reasons, including the common cold.  A CA125 does not diagnosis the disease, there is no test that can diagnosis ovarian cancer, it is best used when someont has been diagnosed as a tool to use to watch for recurrences.

Let us know how the surgery goes, what the final prognosis is.  And if you have any questions, we ae hear to help.

Pam
Take it one step at a time. My worst part of surgery was gas pain two weeks after. I had to get up and walk, and walk and walk to pass the gas. I walked every chance I got. My CA125 was 293 and 75 after surgery. After chemo it is 12. Ovarian is often referred to as a Chronic illness like diabetes. I am a year out and riding horses and back to being a full time artist. My next adventure is ziplining.

Alex