Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Answers for my mom

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Answers for my mom

For the past couple of months my mother has went from being usually energetic and on the go to mostly confined to the bed for days at a time.  The back and pelvic and leg pain has been so severe that she can hardly walk at times.  Approx. 4 years ago she had a tumor removed from her bladder the size of a soda can.  Everything seemed to be fine afterwards concerning check ups, etc... She has had boughts of flu like symtoms (symptoms) that accompany her pain and nausia and I recall at several periods of laringitis in the past year.  The first diagnosis was sciatic nerve pain, then arthritis, nothing seems to take the pain away, although there are a couple days at the most to where she does feel some better.  The scan revealed a place or polyp on her bladder again so she was sent for an ultrasound.  Now the doctors office calls to say there is a cyst where her ovary used to be.  She had a hysterectomy over 20 years ago and at that time her ovaries removed.  She has an appt. with gyn next week.  Can you give any thoughts on what we might expect to hear as a diagnosis.  My mother does not want project concern for herself but I know she is worried and does not want to worry us.  Stubborn.  If anyone has experienced these similar symptoms I would be eager to hear your diagnosis.  Want to pray for the best but cannot help but fear the worst.  Also she was a heavy smoker for a good 30 years of her adult life, but kicked the habit approx. 10 years ago.  She is 69 years of age.
Hi There
thank you for your complete information

I assume she had a malignant bladder cancer?

it may be that she has a recurrence or there is something completely unrelated going on.

It would be very helpful if she can get her surgical records for her hysterectomy to see exactly what was done. At age 49, many surgeons will not take out the ovaries at the time of removing the uterus.It would depend on why her uterus was removed.
It would also be helpful to get the pathology report for her surgery.

that information will be very helpful to give to the gynecologist to help them sort of what the cyst could be

I know this is very stressful
best wishes
Thank you for the advise.  I will have her call the doctors office that performed her hysterectomy and get those records sent to her gyn.
Thanks Again