Ovarian Cancer Community
Anyone with fibroids, and to hudson

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Anyone with fibroids, and to hudson

Hi hudson, I must be a glutton for punishment. I went "over there" one more time today! I tried to be nice , really want to see what they say, but will probably be ignored since I've posted over there before and they don't like being challenged in any way.

Does anyone have any information on fibroids - when they ocurr, if they come back, when/if they disappear? All I know is that I "got" them at age 50 and they got bigger and bigger. That "other site" claims you can't get them after 30 years old. Hmmmmm.

I saw your post.

Fibroids can be present as small "seedlings" present for many years, often times too small to be detected until something begins to trigger their growth.  

I have them.  Hopefully, they will not begin to grow (they are still fairly small).  I'm perimenopausal.  Mine weren't "discovered" until they grew big enough to be palpated and thus recognized.  

I just found out i have fibroids i am 44
i have to believe that I had turbo charged fibroids that could grow to be SO big by march 2006, when they weren't even PRESENT in August of 2005 when I had a D&C and uterine polyps removed!
Lucky me
If I'm not being too personal, how old are you? I'm very curious about these fibroids  even though mine have been surgically removed and with them went the back pain, abdominal pain, leg pain, bladder probs...well, you get the picture.

I am curious about other women who got fibroids at or beyond age 50 like I did.
I have had them removed, and everything else just two weeks ago. Had just gotten some info on the other site where they said you don't get fibroids after age 30. I found that very curious since I'm 51 and just got them this past March! (and I know they weren't there the prior summer)...so that's why I was asking all of you for personal experiences.

I'm almost 49, and mine were first palpated oh, probably at around the age of 30-35, I can't remember.  I've been very fortunate *knocks wood* that they haven't grown more than they did thus far.  But they've behaved themselves so I tolerate them.  

Certainly fibroids can cause all the things you said, especially if you had such a large one/s.  Bet you're glad to be rid of them.
Apparently they can appear after 30, I was 34 when my doc discovered mine...mine never decreased in size only got bigger.  In fact after my surgery (hysterectomy)doc said my uterus was the size of 4+month pregnancy...Also I know many woman, including family members (in early 30's to late 50's who have had them ).  Are you planning to have them removed?  I wish you well...busy
Some women have fibriods for years with no symptoms. Maybe yours were just never detected?  

Are you on hormones?  My mom had fibroids when she was younger, they seemed to go away, and came back when she started taking HRT.

There are alternatives to hysterectomy to treat fibroids if you don't want the surgery.  I was going to have something called Uterine Artery Embolization (?) or UAE> It's kind of like a cardiac catheterization, they go in through a vein in your groin, and place tiny grains of silicone in the blood vessels feeding the fibroids.  The fibroids shrivel up and die. Turned out in addition to fibroids I had adenomyosis (form of endo) so the UAE wouldn't help me and I had my uterus removed anyway.
I work with a woman who had a completely normal sized uterus last Jan when she had her annual pap/exam.  By June, her uterus was the size of a 18 week pregnancy.  Thank God it wasn't cancerous.  I believe she is in her 30's.  

Fibroids can and do sometimes grow very rapidly.  
I too had adenomyosis (sp?)...looked at www.fibroids.net which had some good info. Someone here suggested it, good site.