Ovarian Cancer Community
Ascites/abdominal fluid - reduced by chemo alone?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

A question really for anyone who has had 2nd line chemo treatment (or who knows about these things) - if you had developed fluid again in your abdomen and/or pelvis in the run up to the chemo did it go away once the chemo took hold?  

First time around mine was drained away during the surgery - 6 litres!  Quickest way I lost weight in my life!  Given that I have relapsed and will be starting chemo again tomorrow I now feel I don't know what will happen to the fluid which has been building up for the last few weeks - not 6 litres worth this time I don't think!  I do hope it doesn't have to be drained off - I have had more than enough of procedures now.  

Definitely not looking forward to the next few months on taxol and carboplatin again - really quite depressed about it and the uncertain future.
Hi Jenny,stay strong-you'll get through it.My cancer nurse told me that patients having carbo/taxol for a second time sometimes get an even better response than first time round- which is what I was hoping for but it wasn't to be.
My bloods were okay this morning so I'm having my second lot of Caelyx tomorrow.I haven't had any ascites yet this time round-my belly is due to the chocolate I keep eating!
A lady who was having her carbo/taxol today - for the third time-that I got talking to, went into hospital last week and had her ascites drained and was just kept in overnight.I don't think chemo would get rid of them because where would the fluid go to?
I'll be thinking of you this week,take care. Sue.
i dont know anything about this,but i did just want to tell you that you will be in my prayers as yu start your chemo tomorrow...stay strong,and stay faithful..he brought you to it,he will bring you through it.....much love to you...sonie
Thank you sonie.I hope your feeling better today too.Sue.
Thanks so much for your good wishes - I'll need them at the weekend when it really hits me!  Very best of luck to you too.  Be in touch asap.
Jenny
Hi Jenny - Yes, the chemo should reduce the abdominal fluid. I've sent a reply as well to our other thread.

Take care. Love, Pauline
I fortunatly did not get Ascities with my reoccurence. When first diagnosed and the first six taxol/carbo there were still a few spots of the ascities and after three more Chemos it was gone. I will be having my third round of Taxol/Carbo Thurs. I really know what you are going through a little and I feel for you. It has been rough but after two rounds my ca-125 is already down to 35, so that is wondeful news. I have 4 more to go and am counting the days to be done with this!! The thing I dislike the most is the steroids, make me insane!! Good luck to you and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
I am just now dealing with the fluid build up with my girlfriend Fran.    Did the chemo help reduce the fluid?    ***@****