Ovarian Cancer Community
Ascites and ovarian cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Ascites and ovarian cancer

My mom has stage 4 ovarian cancer and has had several rounds of chem and surgery.  Her initial presenting problem was pleural effusion.  Now she has ascites and I called her dr. and she doesn't want to drain it and wants to see if chemo will work.  She has had 3 different ones and they put her back on the orig. one and it doesn't seem to be helping with the ascites .  What if the chemo doesn't work and the ascites doesn't respond?  Do they ever put in a drainage tube etcJ?  Why not drain it and then let the chemo try to get it?

This discussion is related to extreme bloating 2 weeks after laparothomy.
Is your mothier experiencing any pain?  If she is I would push the doctor as there is no reason that anyone should have to be in pain.  There have been people that have had the ascites clear up with chemo.  Let's hope that works for your mother.  If the chemo does not work they will have to drain the ascites.
Best of luck to you mom and the entire family.
Pam
I also have stage iv ovca. The three times I have had ascites, my drs. tapped and drained, it is not that uncomfortable of a procedure and brings great relief. It is my understanding that my doctor will only drain off the ascites if it is interfering with breathing and is posing much discomfort for the patient. What chemo is your mother on? Not sure this info will help. Withe
I also have bouts of ascites and it is important to remove it,especially if your in pain.  I'm having a problem right now and I think my ascites is back.  My Onc drained it first and then began 6 rounds of chemo to get every last drop.  I would be asking for it to be removed..good luck~~~Joanne
Thanks to all who resonded to me.  My mom had a ct scan today and will see her onc on 8/28 to go over it and hopefully she will drain the ascites.  I wil keep you posted.
Can someone please tell me what ascites are?  
From what I understand it is a build up of fluid in the abdominal cavity. A while back I had a CT scan that showed some fluid but I have never had enough to cause me any problems. Hopefully one of the other gals that has will be able to explain it a little better.
  Chris
I just started my 25th chemo treatment on May 4th 2009 after being off of chemo for almost a year cause my ocologist is an idiot and wouldn't put me back on chemo until my CA-125 level was over 46,000! It has now gone to my liver, kidneys, bladder, cervix and omentum. He finally decides (afer my family Dr. called him and said what the @#$# are you waiting for?) to put me back on chemo........too little to late as far as I am concerned.  Right after my chemo on May 4th, I'm on Calyx)( my abdomen started to swell like I was about 7 months pregnant and I am very uncomfortable.  I went to see another Dr. yesterday  at the cancer clinic (I have fired my oncologist and am now looking for a new one) and she suggested that I have it drained.  I went to see my family Dr. this morning who is a real pet and she told me that once you start doing that you have to keep doing it as the fluid keeps coming back.

Does anyone out there know if this is what happens or if the chemo is working does that make the fluid go away? Pleae if anyone has the answers I would really appreciate your sharing your knowledge.  If you have any other ideas on what works I would appreciate knowing them as well.  You can email me back at ***@****.
My mom has had ascites  in her abdomen and around her lung.  Her Drs try to give the chemo a chance to work and it will reduce the fluid , usually after 2-3 rounds.  However, there have been times where they knew the chemo wasnt working because the fluid increased and her CA-125 increased...so they would switch her chemo.  You can have both your abdomen and your lung tapped to drain the fluid. However, they typically only do this if it has built up enough where it impacts your breathing, comfort level, oxygen intake, etc.. I know for the lung, they dont like to tap it too many times because the more they tap it, the more likely you would have to get the lung lining sealed, to stop the build up of fluid in the lung lining.  Mom felt great relief the following day that the fluid was drained!  I wish you all the best.  Mutzo, I can not even comprehend what your oncologist did!  I hope you find a great replacement!  Thoughts and prayers to you both! Janice
My mom died in February of this year.  In November I took her to the dr. because her major complaint was her abdomen and how huge and swollen it had gotten.  Well that was the start of it.  By the end of December she would have to have her abdomen drained one day and lung area the next.  She was diagnosed wiht Stage IV cancer - unknown primary.  I can't tell you how much i miss her each day, but the struggle I watched her go through with this ascites fluid in the end was horrible.