Ovarian Cancer Community
Ascites

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Ascites

I have completed five rounds of Taxotere but I still have ascites. I am going for my third tap in the past 6 months. The radiologist takes out 2-3 liters every time.  would like to hear from you all regarding your experience. Any particular Chemo which has successfully addressed this problem. Thanks
I am so tired of the ascites.  I am being drained every 3 - 4 weeks.  Anywhere from 3 1/2 liters to up to 7 one time.  Nome of the chemo's helped.  I am not taking anymore chmo.  I am still washed out from the last dose on Dec 28th.  Can't get me red cells up. Still nausua & diaherra (diarrhea) all the time.  I hve been in bed since Christmas.  Can't get my energy back.  I do feel better after they drain the abdomen.  Good luck.  Yvonne
I had 3 1/2 liters removed during surgery and by the time I started chemo 3 weeks later I was full again.I was put on Carbo and Taxol and 2 days later I noticed it going away.In 7 days it was all gone.
Good luck.
Rebecca
How did you manage side effects of Taxol? Did you have any ?
The only one is that I'm tired and I need a good nap during the day.I was reading somewhere Taxol for maintenance therapy for a year,I will talk to my doctor about it.
Hello...Taxotere is known for retention of fluids, so you will probably have the fluid until well after your treatments have finished. I've just completed 6 rounds of Taxotere/Carbo and have swollen ankles and wrists due to the retention of fluid. Luckily I don't get it in the abdomen. Maybe your Oncol. could arrange to have the fluid drained from your abdomen if it's causing discomfort for you. Wishing you all the best...hugs...Helen..
I had 8 liters removed during surgery, and like Rebecca, started chemo 3 weeks later and was full again.  I had problems with it seeping, as well.  It came out my incision until it was healed enough to be closed completely.  Then, it moved to the vaginal cuff area, which took longer to heal.  It took about 2 months to stop. I finally got rid of the ascites after 3 treatments of Taxol/Carbo.  Taxol is harder on the body than Taxotere, though.  My side effects from Taxol were severe muscle/joint pain, especially in my legs, and of course, lowered blood counts.  Best wishes to you.  I hope you find relief soon.

Gail  
I am so sorry.  I have been lucky and have not had that situation, but so many of the ladies on here have.  All of my Gemzar seems to collect in my feet and ankles, but that is nothing compared to ascites.  I can't imagine what that is like for all of you.  I hope your onc finds something that will eliminate that recurrence as that drainage thing can't be fun.  Good luck in finding that magic elixir that will get rid of this for you.
Jan