Ovarian Cancer Community
Back & Rib Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Back & Rib Pain

I had surgery in February 2009 and was diagnosed with Stage 3C ovarian cancer.  In addition to having a hysterectomy, they removed my omentum and part of my colon.  I had 6 chemo treatments (carbo/taxol) and am currently in a trial for avastin.  I finished my carbo/taxol treatments in August, but I am still having pain under my ribs and in my back.....and it is worse when I am sitting.  Any thoughts?
It is hard to know what is causing the pain, but I would recommend you call your doctor on
Monday.  My oncologists said the reason my pain is stronger when I lay down is because
changing my body position is putting more pressure on a tumor. Are you having ct scans or bloodwork done to monitor your cancer? What side is your rib pain on? Sorry you are in pain. Julie
Sorry to hear about your back and rib pain. I had both a mastectomy and TVH on the same day had chemo 4 treatment of  Avastant , and doxyrubin.....and 4 treatments of taxol.... I ended up with lymphodema in my right arm from surgery ... I am now on femura. In Jan of 09 I began havng pain on my right side right around the ribs In may of 09 my gall bladder was removed laprascopiclly. I still have rightsided extreme at times rib pain that radiates to my back. I have had ct scans ultra sounds and a mrcp done and everything shows normal. Beside the pain which is hard to deal with I get really sick flue like symptoms every 15 days. When I throw up it is a yellowish bile type stuff that turns greenish.... I hate to keep taking stuff fro the pain but can not live with the pain either . I have an appiontment with  a GI Dr in DEC for a possible ERCP which carries a lot of risks also..... So really hang in there and maybe its your gallbladder that is acting up.