Ovarian Cancer Community
Begin Chemo after Interval Debulking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Begin Chemo after Interval Debulking

My mother completed her interval debulking surgery on March 8th and will resume her chemo treatments tomorrow.  The surgeons left no macroscopic desease behind.  

1>   The surgeons were very happy with the surgery but were not satisfied when they saw the amount of cancer left after 3 cycles of Carbo/Taxol.  Is the remaining microscopic cells platinum resistant. ?

2>  They initially wanted to put her on 2d line treatment for the remaining chemos but last
weekend there was a conference in India where the Head of GYN/Onc from MD Anderson had come down.  They discussed my mothers case with him and was decided that she stuck with her current treatment of Carbo/Taxol since she has had some response.   Would you agree with this ?

3>  Though she was optimally debulked they have decided not to go ahead with IP chemo for now because the cancer had spread to the ascites drain site beyond the abdominal wall.  They had to remove lot of tissue from this area and had to install a mesh.  For now her treatment plan is to complete her remaining 3 cycles with Carbo/Taxol via IV and give her additional 3 cycles via IP with Cisp/Taxol.  Has anyone been in a similar situation?

Her CA125 at diagnosis was 4700
After 1st cycle it was at        1900
After 2d  cycle it was at          700
3 weeks post surgery it is at    4.8

OVCIndia
I don't mean to sound sarcastic, but I am really not seeing the problem.  Why on earth would her oncs say they aren't happy with her progress?  To go from 4700 to 4.8 in 3 weeks is INCREDIBLE.  I only got to 8.5 after surgery and 6 rounds of carbo/taxol.  Did she start chemo before surgery?  3 wks is an awfully short time for surgery and two chemos.  I didn't start chemo for 3-4 wks after my surgery but maybe they do things differently in India.  Anyway, your mom is in GREAT shape and you have NOTHING to worry about as far as the number is concerned.  Believe me I would LOVE to have my onc tell me I was at 4.8.  I would be singing the Hallelujah chorus.  Take care of yourself and your mom and I pray for a speedy recovery and no recurrences for you mom.
Jan
Thanks Jan214.  She did start her chemos before surgery.  Her CA125 after 3 cycles prior to surgery was 700 and 3 weeks post surgery went down to 4.8.  She is to begin her 4th round tomorrow
I'm so sorry that you and your Mom and going through all of this.  Making decisions all the time is the life of a OVCA patient.  Everyone is so different.  She responds to chemo very well.  Her CA125 is great!!!    Will she have a total of 9 chemo treatments? or 8?  Two prior to surgery, then 4 remaining or 3?  Then 3 IP?   Some people have a total of 6 chemo treatments.  Some eight depending on the response.  The additional  IP chemo will probably clear whatever cells might be left.  What stage is she?  Did she have her tumors tested?   If so, the doctors are probably making her chemotherapy treatments based on that.  I would call the doctor and ask if they were tested and why so many treatments with a low CA125.  Hope this helps....Cindy
Hi. Yes, your mother's ca-125 results are AMAZING!!! I too am confused on why they would think she is not progressing as well as they would like. To give you some insight on my case I was dx stage 3C and ca-125 was 6400. I had 6 rounds of IV Taxol/Carboplat and 3 IP cycles of Taxol/cisplat. The lowest my ca-125 was an 11 after my last round of IP chemo. 2 months out of chemo my ca-125 is a 29. I agree with the doc from MD, she should stick out the remaining treatment of taxol/car and cis because she has had an incredible response. Best of luck, Deandra