Ovarian Cancer Community
Being pushed?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Being pushed?

I am writing this in response to a remark Nechee made below about women being pushed by people in this forum into having radical surgery for benign cysts.

I have been on this forum for about two months now and have found something quite unique and special here.  Now I was facing complete clearance of my internal womanly organs due to a large complex ovarain mass and was finding the thought of that difficult to take.  Only by coming on here did I find a peace within myself to proceed with the operation.  As it turned out this didn't happen and I had solely bladder surgery and resection of an old scar instead.  I was operated on by a gyn/onc and consultant urologist.

Never once did I feel I was being pushed into making this decision.  Never once did I witness anyone else on this forum push a woman into removal of womanly organs because of benign cysts.

I went to my gyn/onc informed and empowered - and felt comfortable discussing with her my options and after effects of the surgery.  I was only able to do this because I came to this forum.

The only conclusion I can come to is that the remark you made Nechee is bourne out of some sort of hidden agenda.  I would respectfully request that in future you think carefully about what you write and the potential consequences.

Thank you.

I'm back - grateful06 (7.14.06).
HEAR HEAR!!!!!!!!!!!! Well said my feeling exactly. I would never have made it through this horrific journey without this forum. For me Tybear (Becky ) is my inspiration. I have joined a charity for ovarian cancer awareness and research. I spoke to the lady that organises it this morning and told her about woman like Becky, we chated at length and I made her aware of how strongly I feel about ovarian cancer awareness as a result of my own journey and the woman I have met on here. I intend to do everything in my power to help because you can not be a part of this and just shut of after hearing the word benign. My life has been touched for ever!

Anna x
You are such a caring, thoughtful woman. I so appreciate all of the kind words you leave for not just me, but for the other women who have cancer - and also those who don't. I think it's great that you have joined a charity for Ovarian Cancer awareness, as I think that is the key to more women being diagnosed at earlier stages, as opposed to someone like me who never even thought about cancer as a possibility when my pain started. It's shocking the amount of women who are unaware of the symptoms of this disease. As for Scoutshadows observation, I too, found that a little odd, as I personally have never suggested anyone get a hysterectomy unless it were cancer. I have been answering questions about my expierence with my hysterectomy as I have had it pretty good. No one would ever tell anyone to get a hysterectomy - the women who ask these questions are intelligent women who can make their own decisions. They hear all the horrible side effects that are possible and want to hear from women who have gone through it to find out if it is really as bad as some people imply that it will be - we all simply share our stories. I agree that it is very important to try to preserve your organs - they are there for a reason. However, when circumstances arise that, for one reason or another, necessitates the possibility of a hysterectomy, women want to hear from thoses who have been there - that's what they come here for.
I'd go even further! Last year when my 'travels through my ovaries' started, I freaked!! I was well away into hysterectomy etc, etc, etc though I knew nothing was that clear cut at that stage (it was that compassionate look on the doctor's - not the gynonc, who I hadn;'t seen then - and the nurse that did it for me). Could literarely (I know I have spelled that wrong) not sleep for 2 weeks. Anxiety was bursting out through my pores. I was already planning what to wear post op in hospital. I couldn't think straight.Here I am a year+ later, with cysts being tracked, but nothing so far looking nasty, just getting bigger. I wish I had found this site then (I only found the cancer ones), didn't know then what I know now about cysts and the kind of life they lead. I would have been sooooooooooooooooo reassured!!!!!!!!!!!! This site has if anything made me really realise how unusual for it to be nasty! and the comined knowledge is staggering (or awesome to use an american word).

by the way, I am off on my hols day after tomorrow, for three weeks. I mmay not meet a computer while I'm away. It will, actually, be quite nice to have a break from thinking about it all! however, lovely you all are! so if I don't post again before then - all the best to all of you who are facing, coming to terms with or anything at all! Til 10th august - bye!! (though I might sneak a look before Wed am when we leave)
Have fun on your holidays... hope your going someplace sunny with palm trees, a pool, and some cabana boys to wait on you hand and foot!
I am right there with you girl!!!
~Tascha
Hug to all the wonderful, caring, compassionate, personable women on this site who are willing to share knowledge!
(If any remember my earlier posts, I was totally freaking out about surgery)
The only reason that I didn't completely freak out is because of this site. I learned the hows and the whys of the cysts and their related problems, etc, and that knowledge allowed me to schedule a surgery date and make it to that date sane and sensibly. Because of the women here, I knew what would happen before and after surgery, and even after I was diagnosed with just an endometrial cyst and endo, no one on this website denied information to me. Everyone helped me with after effects, and even helped me make a decision on what drugs would be best to control my endo. Yes, I said "helped me make a decision". Not "made a decision for me or pushed me towards a certain drug" or anything other than MY decision.

You know, sometimes I want to smack ne'chee with a large board over the back of the head to knock some sense into her.
(Oh, c'mon... I KNOW some of you feel that way too!)

Hugs to all!
~Marianne
No, my hols will take me to north Sweden - my mother's cottage there. No palms, no cabana boys etc, etc - but fantastic views over the sea, islands, LOTS of nature, normally (though not always) sunny, freqently can swim, quite warm enough, but not guaranteed. A different kind of luxury. And I am bringing the gin bottle!
Pleeeeease have a gin and tonic for me, if possible!

Have a wonderful trip and we'll see you when you get back.

Mary

Oh I'm soooooooo jealous.  I have always wanted to go to Sweden.  I love Henning Menkall and his novels about the detective Kurt Wallander.  His descriptions of the Swedish landscape are so evocative.  

One day......

Have a fabulous holiday.

xx
You sound like your speaking from experience Becky HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Anna x
Hello Ladies ..

I am glad you seen this Scoutshadow and brought it up ...
The N..word was replying to a post I made about being sensitive in her choice of words/terms to all those that come here for support.
I clearly said that some of us need a sounding board from time to time and we get some advice  from experience voices wrapped up with  compassion .I also said we may not use all the advice that's mentioned here but it gives us food for thought... meaning we have a better understanding of what is going on with our bodies....we know we are not alone or unusual...and we can approach our doctors with good questions and understanding of what's happening to us..

I for one would have been a basket case if I hadn't found this place ..The warmth and compassion and the feeling I received of complete Hope....I could not have found anywhere else ..
Ladies like Turtledovemon and Mid ,Livertrans and so many more ..I have the highest regard and respect for  ..
You have given me strength when I thought there was no more..
I love you all for that and you will forever be in my heart and thoughts..

There is a few that are jealous or envious and I feel sorry for them if mean is all they can be...

I am personally going to disregard anything they have to say in the future ..
You know the old saying ..Misery Loves Company ..

Well...

I choose a better class of company ...The Good Souls of the  Special Ladies who offer a hand in a time of crisis..

My Cysters in Spirit

Hugs to you all ...Lex