Ovarian Cancer Community
Bilateral ovarian teratoma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Bilateral ovarian teratoma

Hello all!!!

First off, don't let my name fool you. I'm a female. Roger ET Chapman is what I decided to name my tumor.

Okay so, three years ago, I was diagnosed with a benign teratoma tumor that was on my left ovary. My tumor, left ovary and left fallopian tube were all removed because of its size ,leaving me with my right ovary.

Three months ago, I found out I have another tumor. This one is on my right ovary and it's small but painful.

My doctor said that performing surgery would do more harm that good because it's so small. If they were to try to do surgery, she said they would damage tissue that would throw me into menopause early. I'm only 25. I'm getting another ultra sound to see it and determine whether or not it's growing in three months and I'm scared.

I'm scared because I don't think it'll go away and I don't want to face surgery.

I would like to know if any women have been through the same thing. How long until you decided surgery was right? How did the surgery go? What did your doctors say?

I understand a lot of women get ovarian teratomas but I wanna know about the women who have experienced it in both ovaries. This runs in my dads side of the family but I don't know of anyone who had issues with both ovaries.

Thank you for reading and I look forward to reading your responses!

-J
I did not have teratomas.  I did have my right ovary and tube removed in 2000 with the final biopsy coming back as stage 1a ovarian cancer.  I had a complete hysterectomy in 2004.

Hopefully you are seeing a GYN/Oncologist, as they are the experts with 3 years additional training, and treat many benign conditions.  Seeing a GYN/Oncologist does not mean that you have cancer.

Discuss the options with your doctor.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Pam
Thanks so much for your response and well wishes!

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? Did you have kids? What happens after a hysterctomy?

Sorry for not mentioning the new tumor I have is benign. Cancer doesn't run in my family but the tumors have popped up with quite a few of my cousins on my dad's side.

I'm going back to my GYN for another ultrasound in July. I considered looking for an oncologist but I'll speak to my dr about that after we see the ultrasound. The fact that it hurts makes it so hard not to think about. It's hard because it's mental and emotional as much as it is physically real.  I have confidence that everything will be okay, I've done this before when it was bigger. This one isn't even a centimeter right now! I went to the doctor right away I guess.

Thanks again, Pam

-J
I was 38 when I had my first surgery, and no I did not have kids.  I went from the GYN/Oncologist office to the fertility doctors office...and because of the surgery on the ovary that I had left etc, they were unable to harvest any eggs, and at 42 I had the ovary and uterus removed.

At your age, you want to hold on to that ovary of yours as long as you can.   You might also consider seeing a fertility doctor.  

They don't always have to remove the entire ovary, there is a post about Ashley having been able to concieve (conceive) with just a 1/4 of an ovary.  

Besides ferility, you don't want to be thrown into menopause so young.

My suggestion, is to ask lots of questions, do lots of research.....and talk to your doctors and seek 2nd opinions, see specialists.  You probably have a lot more options that you realize.

Stay positive!!!
Pam