Ovarian Cancer Community
Black, sulfur odor vaginal secretion after first carboplatin/taxol chem...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Black, sulfur odor vaginal secretion after first carboplatin/taxol chemotherapy

My mom(58 years old, mother of one child only) underwent complete hysterectomy 2 weeks ago. She started her first chemotherapy(taxol/carboplatin) last wednesday. Her body is reacting very positive, other than the classic symptoms. However, I am worried that, although her urine is clear and her feces are normal color, she is secreting a charcoal fluid from her vagina and rectum, which has a very repulsive sulfur odor. Such fluid is not dark red or any indications that it might have blood...it is black as shoe polish. Is this normal?
Her main tumor ws the size of a grapefruit allocated in the uterus, which had metastecised to a little bit of the intestine and colon, which the doctors are treating with chemotherapy. Her condition is a form of clear cell carcinoma. What is her prognosis and why is she secreting this black fluid?
I have all the tests with me. Unfortunately, my first language is not English, she came from honduras to treat herself in NY.
I would appreciate a comment on this matter.
All Best,
Carmen Larach
"Old" blood can indeed appear very black in appearance, especially in cases of infection or when the blood is leaking in the stomach or areas of the intestines.   Infections can also create strong odors; however, chemicals such as chemotherapy or most other medications can create strong odors in sensitive patients.  She should contact her doctor's office anyway.
Hello. It sounds like it's definatly old blood from her hysterectomy, which can persist for up to 4 weeks, maybe even longer. It has an awful odor to it, which is probably what the smell is. If it goes on much longer, you may want to contact her Dr just to rule out an infection.
Old blood is indeed as black as shoe polish and it does have a vey foul smell....I don't believe it is normal for your mom to be passing old blood this far out from surgery....she must have a bleeder somewhere and she should definately be talking with her surgeon....it is not a good idea to wait either....please do contact her medical team as soon as possible or take her to the e.r. if that would be quicker....it is important for her to be seen by somebody....
Peace.
dian