Ovarian Cancer Community
Bloated and Distended Upper Abdomen

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Bloated and Distended Upper Abdomen

For over 2 years now, and seeing my doctor, I have had a very bloated and distended upper abdomen.  I look like I'm 4-5 months pregnant.  My primary care doc attributes it to my being overweight and IBS problems because I also belch (not burp)a lot and am always constipated.  I am embarrassed and mad that my doc just blows this off as part of my weight.  I had a transvaginal ultrasound about 4-5 months ago and a CA-125 that showed "normal."  I keep on top of those tests at least once a year.  But, the bloating persists and now there's a great new symptom that has appeared about 2 months ago: my heart skips beats throughout the day and then rapidly speeds up after I've eaten a heavy meal like my heart is really having a hard time handling digesting my food.  I go into a panic and last night I thought I'd have to go to the ER but the symptoms subsided after an hour.  My doctor always listens to my heart and of course AT THAT TIME doesn't hear anything wrong.

I have read over and over about bloating being one symptom of ovarian cancer.  Please, does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks much,

Sally
Your symptoms do not sound like typical ovarian cancer symptoms.  

You should speak to your doctor about a stress test for your heart.
Your palpitations are probably nothing. (Just read the 100s of post on them) If you have had a normal cardiac check up then you should probably ignore them. Although you may want to have an abdominal CT done or an ultra sound (if you are overweight a CT would be a better option because an ultra sound is more difficult in overweight people)
I too have the EXACT same symptoms.  Mine started when I was 4-5 months pregnant and now after baby I too am over wieght.  MY doctor placed me on Kapidex and the symptoms seemed to go away.  I went off the med for a week and now all symptoms are back.  I have also been doing research into Splenic Flexure Syndrome.  It's also tied to IBS.  Try starting there.  I hope this helps.

Vicki
I also have this problem and have for years. I don't know what it is either but I have found that what I eat makes a difference. I am not overweight but not skinny either probably about medium size. I eat pretty good, only whole grains, lean proteins, veg, fruit, nuts, dairy, chocolate and sugar-free desserts. I don't drink alchohol at all. I also work out 3-4 times per week. My doctor said the distended stomach was actually my colon but he didn't know why it was distended. I have also noticed that some foods in particular make the distension worse immediately, rice, pasta, and crackers especially of the white variety which is why I switched to whole grains. Cereal and bread can too if I eat enough of them. When I go off carbs all together (including fruit), my stomach gets much smaller and I feel alot better but it's not a feasible eating plan over the long haul.
Thanks for your comment, it's nice to know I'm not the only one out there because none of my friends have this problem!
You all more than likely have a food allergy (dairy and wheat are the biggest).  This causes the little villi in your intestinal tract to swell and food isn't digested normally, which causes the flatulence and burping.  This will also affect your heart, because your body has to work harder to process this food.

Go to a health food store and get a book on allergies to dairy and wheat.  You'll be amazed!  My life is completely different since I changed from eating these.
I have the exact same symptoms. But like Teryllin, I am not overweight. I also eat pretty healthy (no meats, lots of fruits, vegetables & grains) and work out 4 times a week.These symptoms started approximately a year ago. However, I chalked this all up to my fibroid tumors. I finally had a hysterectomy for the fibroid tumors in October (still have both ovaries). Two months later I had a second surgery removing my gall bladder due to stones that I never knew I had. Yes it was a busy 2 months! When these symptoms came back in February I scheduled a Transvaginal ultrasound to check ovaries. It came back perfectly normal. The doctor says it may be healing from the two surgeries, but I experienced these symptoms before the surgery. While it's good to know I am not the only one experiencing this, I would still like to know what is causing it. I just don't want to ignore something that could get worst.